Paying the bills - more GAS or less?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Mar 31, 2014.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

The university payroll system is a perpetual mystery to me, and for some reason an extra $500 came through in the last pay cycle. Woo hoo goody!, I cry to myself. Play money! What will I get what will I get what will I get... been thinking about a new amp head, or maybe a les paul for my guitar-side interests, or... or... or...

But the bills have to get paid. And there's a few hundred in a medical bill still outstanding, and we have a long way to go to pay off the last heating oil delivery... by the time the dust settles and the checks are written, that extra $500 has evaporated...

Oddly, I was all worked up and ready to pull the trigger on a couple of GAS purchases... but I've found that, with the money spent, I've nearly forgotten about them (apart from posting about it here). I thought I would be craving them even more and kicking myself with disappointment. What does everyone else experience when this happens? Does having your GAS frustrated make it worse, or does it just dissipate?
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

I once read that the threshold is 6 weeks.
    If you still want something after 6 weeks, it's real.
    If not - it was an impulse / infatuation.
    I've found that to be pretty much true.

And I hear you on the heat.
    The tankful I had hoped would get us through the summer is down to 1/4 already.
    I think this is going to be a 3-fill year (the last 5 have been 2...).
  3. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I was gassing for an MP5-22 last week, still am...but then a new fence popped up on the radar.