1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

PayPal and International shipping

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help Desk' started by BawanaRik, Oct 25, 2012.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Will PayPal protect me as the seller shipping internationally? I'm getting request for places like Israel. Suppose my package get's blown up. Is it covered?

Thanks for any help you can give.
  2. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    In the event of your package getting blown up, (chuckle), it would be covered by insurance that you presumably purchased at time of shipment. What you need to worry about is person gets the item, there's no delivery confirmation and then they say that they never received it, file a claim with PayPal and get their money back. Or they claim that their is something wrong with the item and demand something less than what it would cost for you to pay for return shipping. Or they get you pay for return shipping and then don't ship it back and then file a PayPal claim to get their money back, they keep the item and your money for return shipping.

That's probably worst case.

If you're shipping a bass make sure you check the dimensions of the bass packaged before you quote a shipping price. One inch additional in length plus girth can cost you hundreds.
  3. BawanaRik

When it comes to shipping I have found out the hard way, Size Matters.

The points you bring up make it seem less attractive to ship to some areas of the earth.

I had and issue with Canada simply because the buyer wouldn't go sign for the package. Wow!

Thanks for the info.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator

If you use UPS/Fedex there is often a brokerage fee for international shipments charged in the destination country. If the other party doesn't pay it, you're on the hook for it. I've been bitten by that one a couple of times
  5. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I've shipped two basses internationally. A Marcus Miller 4 to Australia that just fit into the box with the neck detached. But it just fit. I had to bring it home and cut it down or it would have cost $300 more. The other was a Stingray 4 to Argentina. Body in one box, neck in a heavy cardboard tube via FedEx. Both arrived with no problems, but it was a lot of work. I won't do it again. I'll ship smaller items internationally if the buyer agrees to USPS flat rate pricing. That usually doesn't happen as, in my experience, they usually try to haggle over pricing and claim to know someone that had a pedal shipped across the globe for $5. But I know that I have the upper hand and used pricing in the US is way more attractive than they can get in their country, then add VAT.
  6. BawanaRik

I've noticed that bit about knowing someone who shipped it for $5.

Once someone lies to me I lose respect. And as yopu mentioned many items are much more expensive over seas.

Many Europeans I meet purchase a laptop while in the US. Here they are under a grand. In Europe they are 4K.

I can't help but think there's an opportunity
    for someone to export US goods and make a buck

7. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Some stuff in the US is cheaper than here in the UK (and I've purchased from the US for that reason) but I'm not sure which countries your $4k figure applies to. The Win 7 HP laptop I'm using right now is a 17" screen, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD model with Bluray player and it cost me £475 here just a few months ago - $760 or so. You can spend a lot more if you want to, though.

Bass wise, I bought a nice 1978 Precision here on TB a few years ago and had it shipped over (in one piece). The shipping wasn't cheap, but I still ended up with a good deal overall.
  8. BawanaRik

The 4K figure was from a woman from Iceland.

Interesting place. I understand they're almost petroleum free.

A fine example of thinking out of the box.

9. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Totally unrelated, but the opening scenes from Prometheus were shot in Iceland. I really want to visit there. Gorgeous!
  10. BawanaRik

True Dat.

What I like about travel is not only the beauty that I have been lucky enough to see during my travels but it's a chance to learn from people that often time have a different view.

Good Luck. I forget the woman's name but she had red hair and was the cousin of Bjorks bassist. According to her that is enough to find her on Iceland. It sounds like everyone knows everyone.

QUOTE=cybersnyder;13379108]Totally unrelated, but the opening scenes from Prometheus were shot in Iceland. I really want to visit there. Gorgeous![/QUOTE]
  11. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I live in Brazil. Always got good deals on TB classifieds, things over here cost twice (sometimes 3 times) the price of the same thing in US.

Did only a few transactions here (all as a buyer), all of them went great.

Before I send a payment, I try to communicate with the seller the best I can, get extra pics from the item and if I don't feel confident to buy I just back away, apologize and do not buy the item. Once I feel I can trust the seller, I send the money. It's been working good this way so far.
  12. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

I line in Italy and have bought lots of stuff here on TB.
    Communication is the key, and once you get experienced on the peculiarities of your own nation customs you can avoid all the obvious pitfalls.
    I strongly rely on TB feedback system. If someone had 20 or more feedback it can't go wrong
  13. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fuzz. Supporting Member

Communication and feedback are the keys for a good international transaction.
  14. warnergt

warnergt

...if you could get insurance at time of shipment.

Maybe you can get it with some countries but I have found it
    impossible to get insurance on shipments to some countries.
  15. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    Good point. It's bee awhile since I've shipped large items internationally.
  16. TheBass

TheBass

Good advice. Trust your belly feeling. If you feel uncomfortable, even if all objective ratings might be perfect, step back and don't make any deal. Try to get a direct phone contact before trading. Get pictures which prooves that the seller really ownes the bass. Ask for details only the seller will be able to tell. Google sellers email and name and watch out for any alerts. Never accept western union checks, strange kind of money transfers or weird shipping methods. Being a little bit paranoid dosen't hurt here. I've traded expensive basses to the US, asia and all over EU incl. eastern europe. Never been trapped, no money loss, no shipping loss or damage so far. <Knock on wood>