PayPal invoice, is that asking too much?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by bobicidal, Nov 17, 2013.

1. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Seller sent me a money request but I asked for an invoice which included the item make model, description of condition and shipping terms. Seller responded saying someone else just paid him for it. :mad: This is all in the course of an hour. for Pete's sake.

So is asking for an invoice too much to ask? :confused:
  2. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    It's not asking too much, but I've never had one requested nor have I requested an invoice. It's out of the ordinary for transactions here, so if someone requested one, I think I'd shy away from dealing with them. It would seem like the buyer is trying to scam me by claiming something was different than on the invoice or they don't trust me. If they don't trust me, I'd rather deal with someone else. Just my opinion.
  3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    not to much to ask at all.
    was bad form for someone already having sent a funds request to you, being "mid-transaction" as many would say, to accept payment from someone else. very bad.
    I rarely have been asked for an invoice, and in fact didn't even know how to send one the first time I was asked, but would have no problem sending one. it's just a form of accurate documentation of what's being sold.
  4. bobicidal

Media:
    Albums:
    Upon further reflection I totally appreciate someone having that view, cybersnyder. It is just the way I've always bought things from people and I think it is more business-like, personally.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Having an invoice or bill of sale can protect a buyer from charges of "knowingly accepting stolen goods" should the item be hot. I've sold lots of gear, and am happy to provide a bill of sale (usually nothing more than buyer, seller, item, serial number, price) if asked.
  7. bobicidal

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree completely. Also I forgot to add I like to ask them to put on the invoice the serial number of the item.

But in the future if the seller has lots of good feedback and the deal is too good to let get away I am probably not going to bother and just pay up and pray.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

Is that Bob Roll in your avatar? Are you Bobke?
  9. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    People don't like to send paypal invoices because then they are on the hook for the paypal fees. But this is TB and the seller should be on the hook for those anyway. I think sending a paypal invoice just makes good sense. I wouldn't be offended.
  10. bobicidal

Media:
    Albums:
    LOL, not I am not him and the photo is me. Does Bob Roll play bass?
  11. bobicidal

Media:
    Albums:
    One thing with the invoice is and when you send it the buyer not only gets your email address as you normally would but also gets your mailing address and phone number if PayPal has that on file and they should. If someone has a problem sharing this info you have to decide whether you want to trust them with your money.

On another note, FYI, I had two transactions recently, one a sale and one a buy (outside TB) where the other party had an invalid email address in PayPal. I know this because when I got the invoice I sent them an email and it bounced back. In the other case I tried to tell the buyer the item was on its way but the email address was invalid. In the case of the TB transaction, I PM'd the seller and he was good enough to fix his paypal email address and resend the invoice. That's how it should be.
  12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

I was asked once before and did it without being offended. Actually, I think it makes the whole procees more formal.
  13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have done invoices for people, it's easy, no big deal. Seller should have given you that.
  14. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Again, I'm not against providing an invoice. It's just not done commonly on TB and seems "odd", thus triggering the "what's up?" response.
  15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh I agree it is not common at all.
  16. electracoyote

electracoyote

It's a fair request, many people doing business need that documentation. And it's a very simple thing for the seller to do.
  17. elgecko

elgecko

Not that I know of but it'd be cool if he did and was posting on TB! :p

[​IMG]
    Bob Roll
  18. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

I don't think it's too much to ask, but if I had two people simultaneously PM "I'll take it." and one person replied, "Payment coming." and the other replied, "Send me an invoice with make, model, description, condition, and serial number.", I'd give it to the person making it easier for me.
  19. Kellymack

Kellymack Supporting Member

I've had no problems asking for an invoice. I don't have a PayPal account and if the seller wants payment via PayPal, why not? It's been working for me... YMMV
  20. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

First bass I bought here on TB, seller sent me an invoice without my asking. I thought it was cool, and I would do the same if asked.
  21. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Invoice is appropriate and easy to do. Should be standard here.