1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

PBass from 70s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deerfield, Dec 24, 2013.

1. deerfield

deerfield

After months of swapping, buying, selling, waiting, dealing with customs, here it is:

Heavy ash body, from 72 or 71. Came already in PJ configuration
    Maple neck from 76, lovely worn edges
    new Fender guard
    Cream DiMarzio set

I know it's not historically correct and from the worst Fender era. As a matter of fact it's heavy like an anchor, the craftmanship in places like the heel is a bit shoddy, the color combo it's not the best and the chickenheads are frankly bad taste. To add insult to injury, cellphone pics rushed and bad lighted. But it's mine, it sounds good, and I love it.

Have a nice XMas :bassist:

Attached Files:

Fatberg likes this.
  2. og61pbass

og61pbass

I would Rock it,I like it...:bassist:

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Looks like an experienced old campaigner. Take it into battle!

4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I'm diggin it, 90%....would've gotten chrome knobs. Other than that its awesome!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I'd stick a tortoise-shell pickguard on there with chrome knobs!

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Congrats - although they're frequently slagged, there actually are/were a bunch of great Fenders from the 70s - you just have to check 'em out thoroughly...

- georgestrings

8. og61pbass

og61pbass

Exactly, I had a 77 black/ maple that to this day I kick myself in the arss for selling it...:(

9. pfox14

pfox14

I'd also vote for a new PG and knobs

10. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

I would rock the crap out of that thing....I like everything including the knobs!!!

11. deerfield

deerfield

I got some chrome knobs but they were 6mm...they didn't fit...I don't have time and facilities to ream them so opted for chickenheads.

Tuners are Schallers, really good. I'd like to figure out how to age them...

I experienced some issues with strings off center, but a little wobbling of the neck and a setup of the bridge put them in the right track.

Now I'm opening another whole can of worms: what amp for me? I'll post shortly a message in the right section of TB because I really need advices...

12. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Nice bass, man. I like the funky old nodded ones sometimes. I have a great '79 with many evil mods and it sounds/plays terrific.

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I had three great 70's Fenders and there were plenty of good one from those years. You have to just find and afford them. There are many national professional players who main basses are from the 70's.

14. deerfield

deerfield

as a matter of fact, building this bass for me was a bet against bad luck. I bought the neck almost a year ago, liked it on my j.

Then come the body, sight unseen, from that NJ luthier who sells disassembled fender and gibson bodies and parts on ebay... I was lucky everything fitted quite well.

I' ve come to love even the weight... This bass now it's my #1, it has personality. In fact, I've sold all other gear. Perhaps in future I'll get a backup bass, lighter, perhaps headless or SS, for lessons etc.

15. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

16. rberry7777

rberry7777 Supporting Member

I just cleaned and set up this baby- sounds killer with that 70's Dimarzio - a Rock n Roll Dream
    its a 72 p- made on January 5th 1972- It's light comfy and has a much nicer to play neck than most of the P basses I have played.
    Luck to have found this one.

Attached Files:

17. veebass

veebass Supporting Member

Nice bass. Like others have said there are some great 70s Fenders. Many of which are equal or better than the 60s Fenders I have played. They aren't all boat anchors like some would have you believe and the heavy ones are fine with a wide strap as long as they sound good. Don't listen to the hype, 60s vintage doesn't always equal great.

Here's my alder 73 P (pickguard from an 80s Fender, although I have the original white one). Just over 8 pounds and sounds as good acoustically or amplified as any split coil P Bass I have played including a fair number of pre CBS (some of which were quite disappointing), nice tight pocket- main gigging bass for years. The 70s B neck is a very comfortable width and shape- that's probably what is on yours. Enjoy it.

[​IMG]

My son's 3 bolt alder 75 Jazz. Just under 8 pounds. Tight neck pocket, no neck wobble despite the much maligned 3 bolt system. Resonant- a tone monster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  18. Hahaha

Hahaha

I have a '74 Precision that's almost identical to that. The only difference it mine has a Badass bridge and a black Fender jazz pickup. I have the traditional Fender knobs on mine. I bought mine new and modded it through the years as various parts either wore out or didn't function well. My black pickguard is aluminum; they were popular replacements for a while in the late seventies. My pickguard has a groove worn into it just above the pickup where I often anchor my thumb. Even the cream pickup cover has a rounded corner from my thumb. I've put thousands of hours on that bass. It still plays and sounds great, but stays home most of the time these days.

19. gurensan

gurensan

Agree 100%. I'd axe the chickenheads and put on standard P-bass chrome-domes and then otherwise rock that as-is. I actually *really like* the natural/black/cream.

20. JHandley

JHandley

PERFECT as is!!!!!!!
    Jeff

Fatberg likes this.
  21. Fatberg

Fatberg

Disclosures:
    N/A
    IDK, the '70s Fender basses in natural with black pickguard just looks right to me. I like it!!!