Pbass tuned E0A0E1A1

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by yaudep, Jan 26, 2014.

1. yaudep

yaudep

I have a Fender Pbass I would like to tune to E0A0E1A1. It has a string through body and I changed the pups a few years ago for Seymour duncan spb2.

I plan to use circleK strings to achieve this tuning. Maybe .232 for E0 and .174 for A0.

I also plan on replacing the bridge for a topload (thought about this one http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=114) and most probably a new nut, maybe new pups.

First: Is this stupid?

Second: do some of you have any kind of experience with this kind of setup and eventually advices?

Thanks!
  2. Jensby design

Jensby design

In my experience you do not need such large gauges. I would suggest something like:
    .222 .166 .106 .079
    .210 .158 .102 .076
    .200 .150 .098 .073
    .190 .142 .094 .070

As far as set-up maybe lower your pick-ups just a little. I used a chainsaw file for the nut on the bigger strings.
    You might want to invest in a compressor.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

What notes are those?
  4. Jensby design

Jensby design

E0 = 20.6hz (YES you CAN hear, that don't even start)
    A0 = 27.5hz
    E1 = 41.2hz (standard E-string)
    A1 = 55hz (standard A-string)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wideload

wideload

I don't doubt you can hear hear it. What do you plan to use to produce it?
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

First question: Highly debatable, not entirely crazy but don't expect any kind of clarity to your notes and most bandmates wouldn't appreciate it.

Second question: I have not gone that low but I have played a bass tuned to F#, let's just say it was less than satisfying for me. It was on a fanned fret Dingwall and the F# string had so many wolftones by the second fret it was unplayable in my opinion.

And yes Jensby, nobody debates hearing E0, they debate over C#0 coming in around 13hz, which is the same frequency animals detect earthquakes and such on. It is highly debated that people can distinguish pitch at that point, I am not saying one way or the other, it is just highly debated.
  8. pfox14

pfox14

So, you are tuning the lowest string to an octave below a standard low E string? Why? It will sound like mud.
  9. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Maybe OP likes mud!
    There's no valid reason for you or any of us to question his motives. Why would Jauqo tune as low as he does? Cuz he likes it.
    (And it sounds pretty badass).
  10. Jensby design

Jensby design

:eyebrow:
    http://youtu.be/JnfcMJwiOHQ
    :eek: you're right 35 seconds in I didn't hear hear anything :eek:
    :meh: So what you're saying is when I tune down to D0(18.35hz) I'm not hear hearing my bass? I'm actually hear hearing mud :(
    [​IMG] Valid point, anything other that standard, is [​IMG]"substandard"