1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pbass with bridge humbucker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Down_Low, May 17, 2011.

1. Down_Low

Down_Low

Hi guys,

I saw a guy playing a P Bass deluxe the other weekend, with a humbucker (of some sort) in place of the bridge pickup, and it got me thinking. Does anyone have this type of settup? Any pros/cons? Are they better as a passive bass or active? Maybe a P/H Jaguar Bass could be what I'm after?
  2. Bobster

Bobster

3. Hnz

Hnz

[​IMG]

Here's my Sandberg California VM4.

[​IMG]

German handbuilt bass. Pbass body - Jbass neck.
    Delano pu's and Glockenklang pre-amp.
    Active - passive, vol - blend - bass/treble boost and cut.

Pros of the pu set-up:
    Much more versatile than a P-bass
    More body than a j-pu in the bridge position

It has awesome sound and playability!

This is the Sandberg website: start
  4. Down_Low

Down_Low

Beautiful looking bass. Will check them out!
  5. Buzter

Buzter

I made my own. Had a Squier PJ precision special. Took out the bridge pos. J pickup and put in a cheap mm style pickup. Sounds like a like a p when I want or a jacked up jbass if I want.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I'd like to do something like this with an Affinity P/J I just got recently. Did you have to route a much larger space to fit that in there HNZ?? I was thinking of going with the Delanos P, J or now especially the hukmbucker and their active pre.
  7. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

I used this bass for many years. It was a standard MIM P bass that I had modded with Bartolini Hi-A and Nordstrand pickups, a Bart NTMB (I think) 2 band EQ and a side mounted jack. I could get bot P and MM sounds. The combined sound wasn't too bad either but I rarely used it.

[​IMG]
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

I used to have a California Special that I replaced the original pickups with Seymour Duncan Vintage P and Classic Stack J pickups. What a great sound! :bassist:
  9. leegreenman

leegreenman

My Kramer Pioneer Imperial has that configuration. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388030309.941836.jpg
  10. brad houser

brad houser

I've got a Bartolini Musicman pu at the bridge position on my P and love it. wired in series for high output, balances well with P pickup.
  11. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

American Precision Deluxe basses were made with the MM style humbucker in the bridge position for several years. People who own them generally seem to really like them, I haven't owned one, myself.
  12. Bobster

Bobster

I have an Ltd Surveyor-4 which effectively has that combo, EMG 35P-4 and EMG MM-TW w/EMG preamp.

It has a lot of usable tones.

Bob
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

SX p-bass with a t-bird pickup. I tried it passive and active. I wasn't happy with this bass.
    [​IMG]

P-bass with a Stingray pickup and a 3 band preamp. I added a toggle for the bridge pickup for series/single/parallel operation and I also put on lighter strings and I like this one.
    [​IMG]
  14. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    [​IMG]

Fender Deluxe P5
    Wonderful bass. Covers a lot of ground sonically.
    It covers Pbass, Jbass, tones both modern and vintage and gets into Musicman territory as well. It's active although you can easily eq in rounder, more vintage tones.

I love this bass!
  15. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Great looking bass!

How do you find those Delano pups? Was thinking of a very similar setup myself
  16. Hnz

Hnz

Hey Hank, the Delano pu's are great pu's, but to me they lack a bit of character. I very much like Nordstrands and the older Ibanez pu's (80-ies models). Certain Fenders are also great.
    If I have a choice, I'd get one of these three.
  17. Hnz

Hnz

Here's my Ibanez ATK100 from 1997. There's a Mustang/Bullet pu installed and a 5-way switch for the pu's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's technically a p-bass with a bridge hum bucker. Anyway it sounds as such. KILLER BASS!
  18. Down_Low

Down_Low

Way to dig up a zombie thread guys! I ended up playing a Sandberg VM that was one of the nicest feeling basses I've ever played. Nice and worn in, beautiful neck and light. However I realised that a P and a H on the one bass means that at least one of the pickups (normally the H) will be in the wrong position, which defeated the purpose of what I was wanting to do. So, I now have a HH Stingray and a Fender PJ.
  19. archtop2

archtop2

That's what i did two days ago ! I can just advise to go this way

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/precision-upgrade-de-luxe-humbucker-997264/?highlight=#post15296153

Bridge pickup is the Deluxe Precision you get it for 40$ on the bay, very good balance with the Split-P, much better than the weak single jazz it got before.

[​IMG]
  20. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Thanks for the link. I may go this way. Although I was thinking of going the múy expensive route with all Delano, pre and pups. That way would be damn expensive but who knows which I'll end up going. The fender HB does look pretty sweet though.