1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

PC Soundcards

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MusicMan0311, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MusicMan0311

MusicMan0311

Hey everybody. I'm building a new computer to use for recording purposes and am wandering what sound cards you guys are having success with and which ones to stay away from.

Also, can anyone tell me why there seems to be so much hate going around on the creative labs sound blaster cards?

Much appreciation for the help.

2. thatbassist863

thatbassist863

I wouldn't recommend using the PCs sound card to do the recording. The A/D and D/A converters are not that good. I'd suggest going with an interface if you want to record, the converters are better and the audio quality is better. Quality audio is key to recording.

3. nick98338

nick98338

PC sound cards are designed to get sound OUT of a computer. That's it! For recording, you need to get sound IN and OUT of the computer. PC sound cards have 1/8in jacks and plugs for cheap computer speakers and cheap computer microphones. For recording, you need to plug in real microphones, XLR cables, and instruments, and 1/4in cables, and line-level signals, and RCA cables. PC sound cards just aren't designed for that.

If you want good PC sound for PC games... get a good PC sound card. If you want to do recording... get a real audio interface. BTW, most interfaces will also output great sound for those games.

4. MusicMan0311

MusicMan0311

Are you talking about internal pci interfaces or external usb interfaces?

Ive been looking into the rme babyface, but I'd love to look into a pci interface if you have any suggestions.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

there are only a few players in the sound card field. creative is probably the largest, by far, but there is also turtle beach and m-audio. m-audio made a really decent card and their background is more in the audio department and not just in the pc cards.
    creative did make a card that had a front panel with 1/4" and midi access. i will need to look into it as i have been out of the business for a couple years.
    i think that creative takes a big hit because of how large they are and because of several driver issues

7. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

8. nick98338

nick98338

There are some internal pci interfaces that are designed for recording purposes. I suppose they would work OK. They just seem to me to be.. restrictive. For my purposes, I chose an external interface that communicates with the computer by firewire. Many of the USB 2.0 interfaces work quite well, also. I think the internal vs external decision is a personal preference thing. However, it seems evident that the choices in internal interfaces is somewhat limited.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey