1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pearce BC-1 power amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by victor5string, Nov 9, 2013.

1. victor5string

victor5string

Hi all,

I'm thinking of starting to use my Pearce BC-1 again. I'm looking at getting a Carvin power amp, most probably the DCM 1000L. A far as i remember the Pearce has a low output and may not drive the power amp properly. Could any Pearce users give me some advice, will the power amp be enough?

Thanks
  2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

My Pearce drives a Crest Pro lite 2 just fine. No idea about the Carvin.
  3. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Mate that up with a crown and you can have it all. I used pearce for 20 + years
  4. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

The Peavey IPR2 and Crest ProLite2 both have 0.775v input sensitivity.

Check the Pearce gain factor, and specified output voltage.
    The typical passive J pickup (DP123 or DP127 ) puts out 150mv.
    Multiply this by the preamp gain factor, and determine the output voltage.
  5. victor5string

victor5string

Thanks for the advice guys. Im looking at the Carvin as my local bass shop(in the UK) stock them and i like to try before i buy.

I don't know the output voltage of the Pearce.. how does the input sensitivity effect things? sorry for the possible stupid question.
  6. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

The Carvins are 1.0v input sensitivity.
    They require 0.225v more to reach full power than does the IPR or ProLite2
    This miniscule difference is a nit with most preamps... except my SWR Interstellar Overdrive, which has a wimpy output.

I have no info at all on the Pearce, so hopefully somebody will post it from a reliable source document.
  7. Atomic Al

Atomic Al

I too am looking for a power amp for my Pearce BC1 since I just freed up some space in my rack and can fit a power amp now but am also unsure of what power amp would be a good match.
    Maybe something in this diagram can help us.
    BC1 Owners Manual p7.jpg