Pearl Jam Vs Stone Temple Pilots, your preference?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 30, 2013.

Pearl Jam Vs Stone Temple Pilots, your preference?

This poll will close on Nov 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM.
  1. Stone Temple Pilots

50 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. Pearl Jam

26 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Stone Pearl Carrots

15 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    At least in the early years of these 2 bands recording careers STP was considered a Pearl Jam spin off. Personally, I think they sound nothing a like. So www.talkbass.com, which band do you prefer? I'm a BIG STP fan, Robert DeLeo has had a huge impact on the way I play.

2. natw42

natw42 Gold Supporting Member

I'll go with STP for the overall catalog, but Pearl Jam "Ten" is IMO an essentially flawless album song-writing and production wise.

DeLeo and Ament both had an impact on my playing, with a slightly bigger nod to DeLeo.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Both bands had/have talent.

One crashed because of drugs.

The other crashed because they became a downer to listen to.

YMMV

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I really don't care for either. There are a few songs from each of them that I like but not enough to buy anything.

In most bands from that era, I like the music but don't like the most of the vocals. I am also not a fan of drop tuning.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Other than "Ten", Pearl Jams albums haven't really done much for me. A cool song here and there but nothing more. I've been a longtime STP fan though, so they get the nod.

7. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

STP hands down. Never got into PJ's music.

8. Revolver

Revolver

I like both bands, but personally, I think STP is substantially more diverse, so I like them better.

In terms of bass playing, I also think DeLeo has the more interesting bass lines. Ament is great and very dynamic, but DeLeo is one great melodic bass player.

9. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I always hated Pearl Jam...especially that whiney a** snatch faced spoiled brat singer...

also because he's a Cub fan from Evanston.

10. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan, and I've got to go with them on this just for Jeff Ament.

Don't get me wrong, DeLeo is awesome, too. But Ament has a way of absolutely carrying the songs in a very subtle way. Ament is either rocking hard at the front of the song, like in Go or Jeremy, or he just hangs back and supports the song, like in Black or In Hiding. No matter what the song is, though, if you take him out of it completely the whole thing falls apart.

DeLeo does have some fantastic Jamerson-esque melodic lines. It just sounds like he's playing in the wrong band sometimes. Listen to something like Interstate Love Song, and it's like DeLeo's thinking "Oh, you guys are gonna play that riff over and over and over and then just end? Alright, I'll just do my own thing 'til the song's done."

Edit: I'll also say that I think a lot of hate for Pearl Jam comes more from a distaste for the fans than the music. I've been to several shows, and even though the band puts on a hell of a performance, they do attract a certain...unrefined crowd.

11. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Love the bassline on Interstate Love Song. A classic of the '90s for sure.

For me, STP, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden have always had that special something. For whatever reason, Pearl Jam and Nirvana never did anything for me.

12. 4001

+1

13. 4001

EXACTLY my thoughts on this.

14. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Yep I think Soundgarden is far superior then both.

Matt Cameron is a great drummer, even though he played w Pearl Jam for awhile.

Nirvana really sucked. One of the worst bass players I've ever heard...right up there with Duff McKagan

15. totallywink

totallywink

I dig both bands, both have great bassplayers but the over/under goes to STP. I dig the bass playing on 'trippin on a hole in a paper heart....'

16. zachoff

zachoff

Pearl Jam. Overall, a more listenable catalog. Plus, I dig Eddie. This brought tears to my eyes when I first saw it.

17. ronlitz

ronlitz Supporting Member

STP for me - not even close. I also never understood the accusation that STP was a Pearl Jam ripoff - they sound and look nothing alike! My preference for STP really has nothing to do with the bass playing - it's because of the songs. STP has rockin' songs that excite me - Pearl Jam bores me. IMO, Core is one of the greatest hard rock albums of all time - right up there with Appetite and Nevermind.

18. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

They're not the same band? :eyebrow:

19. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

STP did it for me a little more than Pearl Jam. And any band that starts off calling themselves Shirley Temple's P&$*y is awesome.

20. Hues

Hues

While I've always loved PJ's soulfulness...I've never heard them produce a masterpiece such as STP's Big Empty.

The bass work on that song just takes you over.

21. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

STP.

I hate pearl jam, there posers. Eddy Vedder is annoy as hell.