Peavey 1 x 18 subs question?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by twoboom, Nov 24, 2012.

1. twoboom

twoboom

I'm a classic rocker, heavy bottom bass. Just picked up two 1 x 18 Peavey subwoofers. Very nice cabs. Power them with a Peavey Tour 700. Only issue is these cabs have little cross-overs in them. I want to run these cabs straight, bi-passing the x-overs. Anybody know how to do this??

2. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Open the cab up....wire jack to speaker direct, removing the x-over in the process.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Which model of the 118 Sub do you have (they changed them a lot over the last 25+ years, while still calling them some variation of "118 sub"). Most of the passive Peavey crossovers I've seen also have a "Fullrange" input which bypasses the crossover. Can you post a picture of the input panel?

John

4. twoboom

twoboom

The cabs are the new 118 subs as advertized at MF or Guitar Center, etc. The are the 70 lbs. cabs, Really nice size. They are packed in the van at the moment. Can't get a pic at the moment. I did open up the back input panel. There's sealed plastic jacks, and some gizmo that look like a big spool of copper wire.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The big spool of copper wire is the coil/choke that rolls off higher frequencies at 6dB/octave. You could jumper across it, disconnect it and run a wire in place of it, or add a switch to short across it, that would allow running full range, or using the crossover coil.

The coil is in series with the speaker. It has some resistance, and that slightly reduces the volume of the speaker. Eliminating it would make the speaker slightly louder. Shorting across it effectively eliminates it.

7. twoboom

twoboom

WOW. Thanks. I pulled one of the input jack panel off one of the cabs, gave it a quick look-see. I probably need to take it back out, leaving it hooked up for now, and see about jumping the x-over to bi-pass it. Can I just cut the thing out and have the cab work full range then?

8. ac81017

ac81017

I also have an OLD 1x18 cab and a Tour 700, I've just found an old 4X12 cab that also has the metal frame which is the cover!

Does anyone know if a 1x18 plus a 4x12 will work and sound big and mighty, or shoulf i stick to my 1x18 and tvx410??

9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Nobody knows dude. Your 4x12 is probably a guitar cab which could well handle less oomph being asked of it than the vintage 18, or not. Start a new thread with all the info.

10. bassdopp

bassdopp

If that 412 metal case cabinet (412FC) has the Scorpions in it (aluminum squared off frames) use it and sell off the tvx410. I have the older 412 Peavey (with the silver strips) on top of my 215 BW. Killer sound. IMO

11. bassdopp

bassdopp

Sorry, Downunder is right.
    Back to the subject. What 18" speaker is loaded in there? I haven't tried the newer 18's from Peavey. I'm still stuck in the old days of the 1801 Black Widows. The other comments are correct about by passing the x-over and going straight to the speaker. My problem was volume. The 1801 is nice, but gets flappy when you crank it up.