Peavey 1516 replacement 15" driver

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jmcorn, Jan 4, 2014.

1. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    I purchased a cheap peavey 1516 cab with a distorted sounding 15 and i am looking to replace it. Peavey calls out a 1502 4 BW replacement. After researching the topic I have seen several people wanting to upgrade these cabs but I haven't seen any of the results after upgrading. So I am curious as to what was or is the best replacement driver. Should i Go with the peavey replacement or go with something different?

2. Geri O

Geri O

Since you just got the cabinet, I'd go with the OEM driver, which doesn't suck. These were nice, tight-sounding cabinets if one didn't need a really loud cabinet. I saw a lot of keyboardists in "the day" using them. Bass players not so much, but they were quite decent for bass.

Geri O

3. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

You might have a Black Widow model that has the replaceable basket making repairs less expensive than the whole driver.

=wr=

4. tonybassman

tonybassman

+1

I have replaced a Peavey Black Widow basket and it is simple. 3 bolts hold the magnet to the basket.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Black Widows are real solid speakers.....good JBL copies with huge voice coils.

7. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Turns out I don't think it has the original Black Widow speaker. It doesn't have any screws on the magnet but it does have a cast frame. With no label.
    [​IMG]

8. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

In that case, I'd just get the recommended Peavey 1502-4 BW. It's a good sounding speaker and not that expensive.

9. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Any thoughts on using a Peavey 1505-8 instead of a 1502-4. I know the xmax is double on the 1505. I am just not sure about the rest of the specs and if the 1505 will sound good in the 1516 cab. Any thoughts on this?

10. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Actually, I have one of those cabs sitting in my drummer's rehearsal room....it's been there for 7-8 years easy, and I gigged it for awhile before that. Really not a bad cab at all for what it is.

It seems to me that if you replace the 150x-4 with a 150x-8 you will change the overall impedance of the cab. With a higher impedance 15 you may also find that the 2 8's are getting more than the normal amount of the power due to the higher impedance 15, but admittedly I'm not certain about that part, as I don't recall what sort of crossover setup is in there.

Curiously, the 15 let loose on mine a year or 2 ago...I just replaced it w/ stock, which I happened to have on the shelf. (Don't ask, I'm a hoarder of bass and PA gear). I may have another 15 for your cab in the garage...let me know if you end up needing one and I'll take a look.

11. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Someone had replaced the 1502 with a no name 15 that doesn't sound very good. I found a magnet off of a 1505 so I could get a replacement basket for it. But They don't offer a 1505-4 anymore. That does make sense about the resistance I am sure that would send too much power to the 8"s. So I should probably replace it with a 4 ohm.

12. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Oddly enough I pulled the BW 15 in my Peavey TKO 115 and replaced it with an import heavy duty 15 with a giant magnet and heavy bass cone which actually sounds good.

The reason I pulled the BW 15 out of this amp is I concluded that this particular BW 15 was a multi purpose speaker and I intended to try it in several of my guitar amps.....never did though and I need too.