Peavey 1516

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iriegnome, Apr 9, 2014.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    A friend just gave me a 1516 cabinet. It is one of the newer Peavey 1516's (Late 80's probably) since it is tolex covered. Anyway, all 3 speakers are blown.
    I am going to use this cabinet in my basement and it will never leave my house. I will be using a SWR SS-180 to power it.
    Now the original cabinet was rated for 200w, which the SWR is perfect for.
    I am looking for some low cost replacement speakers. Sound quality is not the biggest concern. Cost is.
    I will need 2 - 8" speakers and a single 15" as well.
    Any help would be great. Pics to follow shortly
  2. gfaulkner

gfaulkner

If time is not a factor in setting this cab up,you should find appropriate speakers for the enclosure.Installing any speakers just because they hit the price point could come back to haunt you later.Find out what originally came installed from the factory and try to get close to that as far as specs go.Used speakers can be found on the FS section here,as well as Music Go Round(you're lucky in WI with multiple locations there and in MN).You have a huge head start since the cab was free.Good luck from a fellow Peavey lover!
  3. iriegnome

Media:
    I think I am going to have the speaker recovered in rat fur first. I am just not a fan of tolex. Anyway, it will see very little use sitting at my house. Mostly for tuning, setups of my basses and wacking around a bit, but nothing really much. My main rig and my practice rig both live at our warehouse where we practice and since we are playing about twice a week, I don't plug in much at home.
  4. iriegnome

Media:
    After a morning of searching - My cabinet is a 1991 1516TM.. Don't know what the TM stands for.
    The 15" was and is a 1502-4 BW 4Ohm speaker.
    The 8" was a part number 70777044 and is now a 70777272. Other than the fact that they are 8", I cannot find anything on the 8" speakers at all. I don't know watts or Ohms.
    Anyone??
  5. wave rider

wave rider

You can get a replacement basket for the Black Widow from Peavey. Should be less costly than a new driver. I'm betting the eights are 8 ohm wired parallel to get 4 ohm.

I like the way my 1516 sounds although I play my Bag Ends more.

=wr=
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Wow... recovered in rat fur... that is a first. I personally do not mind rat fur but everybody seems to hate it with a passion, I am surprised you are going to it. You must not own a cat. I am guessing you do not like tolex because it rips, if that is the case check out duratex. Easy to apply and relatively cheap since you are in America.

I cannot offer you speaker help, sorry. What did Peavey say? I wonder if they support something so old.
  7. iriegnome

Media:
    Actually I have 5 cats!!! I don't like the tolex. Even the Schroeders' in my stage rig have rat fur. Peavey did not have any info on the 8 itself only the part number.
    Also, since the cab is rated at 4Ohms and the 15 is 4Ohms, I am thinking that the 8's are both 8Ohm wired together and then into the crossover for a 4Ohm load.. Not positive though. That stuff always confuses me.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

The 8's were always the weak point in those cabs. They did fine in mono, because the internal crossover was set pretty high, but if you tried to bi-amp it they blew very easily. They were pretty low power handing speakers.

Given the crossover and your intended use, it should be pretty forgiving in terms of what you replace them with.
  9. iriegnome

Media:
    No intention of bi-amping. Just want to make sure to buy the correct Ohm speakers and at this point, I am really thinking the 8's would be 8Ohm each
  10. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

11. iriegnome

Media:
    I saw that. It gives the info for the 15, but not the 8's.
  12. gfaulkner

gfaulkner

www.usspeaker.comThey would have something suitable,for sure.
  13. iriegnome

Media:
    My band uses US Speaker. However, I can't buy something new, if I don't know what is supposed to be in there
  14. lesliegl

lesliegl

I had a 1516 up until quite recently..i bought it second hand bout 95..the covering was just falling of the sides so I got it re covered with tough carpet type covering..came up really well and got replacement side handles from Peavey

Leslie
  15. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

You could block off one of the 8" holes, get a 8Ω version of a black widow, an Eminence pb800 crossover and an Eminence alpha 8MR closed back midrange for the other 8" hole. Everything above 800 hz would pass to the mid.

You could also build a really simple crossover for the 4Ω black widow.

It would eliminate the bi-amp inputs, but who uses those anyway.
  16. Geri O

Geri O

Call my good friend and national Peavey parts manager, Anthony Godfrey at 601-486-1124. Tell him Geri O sent ya. Ask him if those 8" drivers might be available.

If he doesn't have the speaker, then it won't be hard to find a pro grade sealed-back 8" speaker to use in that cabinet.
  17. srayb

srayb

I have had one of these for over 20 years. Great matched to Gallien-Krueger 400RB. I gathered this info from the web a few years ago. Hope it helps.

Peavey 1516 Cabinet

· The 1516 is a 4 ohm enclosure and the high & low bi-amp inputs are also 4 ohms.

· The woofer is a 4 ohm 1502-4 BW and the two 8 ohm 8" speakers are in parallel for a 4 ohm load. They are rated at 90 watts each.

· The crossover frequency is 600Hz. It is rated at 200 watts continuous and 400 watts program full range.

· The low input is 350 watts continuous and 700 watts program.

· The high input is rated at 180 watts continuous.

· Frequency response is about 42Hz to 5KHz.
  18. 12bass

12bass

I have a 1516 which has been modified. Have you tested each of the drivers individually? It is possible that there is a problem in the crossover circuit and the signal is not making it to the drivers. I'd make sure that the drivers are actually blown before replacing them. FWIW, I've run the pair of 8s in mine full range a couple of times and never had any trouble. Then again, I know the signs of a dying speaker when I hear it, and back off on the volume. I found I liked the sound of my 1516 better after tuning the box lower, somewhere around 45 Hz. IIRC, the box tuning is closer to 60-65 Hz from the factory and fairly boomy sounding.
  19. braud357

braud357

I used to own a Peavey 1516 cabinet, and - if I am remembering correctly, the 2-8's were in a separate enclosure, separated from the rest of the cabinet. I have used speakers from Seismic Audio as replacements, and have not had any problems with them. if your cabinet is like mine was, you really do not need a closed-back 8" speaker.
  20. 12bass

12bass

That's correct. The 8s have their own enclosure.