1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey 15825 15" speaker & Eden Metro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 23, 2014.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

This 15" Scorpion speaker came out of a TKO115 Peavey from the 80's I believe.

Anyone know the power handling?

The magnet is not huge, 5" across and maybe 1" thick.

It has a dark brown cone and tan colored paper dustcap.

What is the best application for this speaker besides this TKO 115?

I am going to try it for guitar too but had thought about trying it in a ported enclosure very similar to the Peavey TKO 115 enclosure for bass use.

Ultimately, it could be one of the 15's I drive my Eden Metro with since it is 8 ohms.

Imo, the Eden Metro needs another speaker in addition to the 2x10 which is an 8 ohm load....I can add 2 more 8 ohm speakers to get 2.7 ohms.

What say you folks?

2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

4. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I think you are right!

This speaker does appear to be a multi purpose speaker.

Anyone know if it is preferable for guitar or bass?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The Scorpion was sort of all-purpose speaker I think. Was used in some PA cabs, lower powered bass stuff like the combos, and I think some guitar combos, or maybe steel guitar combos?

It's bright enough for guitar and vocals, can handle some bass though not a huhe amount of deep bass. May work for you, as long as you're not looking for big deep bass from your bass, or are looking for a cleaner guitar speaker. Will play a guitar amps overdrive just fine, but won't really add much if any speaker breakup of its own with guitar. Can do a lowmid thumpy 4-string bass tone, but won't give you much for big bottom from a 5-string.

Kind of an "in-betweener". Like most Peavey's, it has good sensitivity (loud coming out per watt going in).

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It could actually pull pretty decent double-duty if you put it in a somewhat smallish (for bass) ported enclosure to get some highbass/lowmid thump while giving up the deep subwoofy stuff, then fashioning a port cover or using a couple of plumbers pressure test plugs or something to seal the ports for guitar use so it doesn't make the guitar too muddy/woofy.

The Scorpion, the EV 15L, and Eminence's DeltaPro 15, (and of course old JBL's) are some of the best 15's out there for doing double-duty like that and do some kind of justice to both instruments.

8. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Yeah, I did the smallish ported enclosure with my EV15L....going to try the Scorpion in the same enclosure.

I have a 40+ year history of attempting hi-fi speaker building on & off...actually minimal experience to be honest!

I've built tuned ports, the aperiodic damped ports like in Dynaco A25 speakers etc....I've collected various types of damping materials, so I can experiment.

It would be nice to have at least one 8 ohm dual purpose 15" cabinet, especially one that can handle power and is somewhat uncolored.

My first impression is the Scorpion is not as cool and calculated as the EV15L but not as firm and defined down low either.