Peavey 18" Black Widow cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by johnnydingle, Feb 12, 2014.

1. johnnydingle

johnnydingle

My local pawn shop has an 18" Black Widow cab for sale for $150. Worth it? They don't have any heads in for me to try it out on, but insist it works. $150 wouldn't really set me back too bad. I have a Black Widow 1516 (15 and 2 8s) and I think it's one of the best sounding cabs I've ever played out of. Anyway, does anybody have experience with the 18s?
  2. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

I had one back in 81, to pair with the then new 1810 cab. I thought the 1810 was too cool, so I traded the 118 in and got a second 1810. As I recall, it was like a 15 inch cab with a little more oopmph. More highs than I expected. For the price, I'd go for it
    Kim
  3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I bought one new in 1980 with a Centurion head. Pretty decent as I recall - good, quick response. I sold it & went with a 2x15 to move a bit more air.
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

I still have mine though I don't use it for bass guitar anymore. It served me well for several years and still sees service ocasionally as a PA sub.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beebassdude

beebassdude

i had a 3620 cab with the black widow 18s and i thought they were dreadful. farted out badly when pushed with any sort of volume. i had an SVT into it and i was very disappointed. if youre in standard tuning and are looking for more thump than sub you might be ok, but if you want something with tons of low end id look elsewhere.
  7. DogBone

DogBone

Wait a minute.

Is this an older model BASS CABINET with a Black Widow...

...or a later model Subwoofer cab with an 18" driver?

If it's an older model BASS CAB with a Black Widow then fine, it's going to sound pretty good for the most part out in front, perhaps sound a little darker off axis, maybe not as much volume as you may want for all the weight, but then again maybe it will be just what you're looking for.

However if it's a PA subwoofer then probably not.

A PA subwoofer will have a low pass crossover that may or may not be defeatable without some rewiring.

It may sound good, it may be a disaster. Just be aware of what you're actually dealing with is what I'm saying.
  8. reep

reep

I had a Peaver stack with a Maek IV, an amplified 2x10 Scorpion cabinet, and two of the old 1x18" Black Widow cabinets. I thought they were great. I also used one as a guitar box short-term for my Twin Reverb head until I got my Dual Showman box. It sounded very smooth and refined, not shrill on the top end, but not as dark-sounding as a lot of bass speakers would be when used with a guitar.
  9. johnnydingle

johnnydingle

I'm 90% certain it's a BW bass cab with an actual BW speaker in it.

I'm hoping to pair it with my 1516. If not I'd just keep it at home. To give you an idea of what I'd be running it through it would be a SWR Headlite with a QSC power amp. The main bass I'd be using it with is my Dingwall Combustion.
  10. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Years ago I played drums with a guy who was running a 1970s Ampeg head through a 118 Black Widow bass cabinet in south Florida. I looooved the sound of his bass.

I had forgotten about that rig.
  11. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

18 inch speaker on stage i wouldnt DRONE city.IMO your asking for trouble.We run 2 18,s Cabs out front re our PA we play medium size bars im thinking on switching to 15 inch speaker cabs.I think 18,s are better suited for outdoors only.
  12. fdorn

fdorn Supporting Member

I still use one paired with a 1516 cabinet.
  13. johnnydingle

johnnydingle

That's exactly what I'm thinking about doing. My old drummer sold me my 1516 for dirt cheap so I could use it at practice as I was tired of hauling my 8x10 around. It ended up sounding so good I just use it for everything. It cut through drums and two guitars without any problem.
  14. braud357

braud357

Probably a 118D - I had one in the early 80's. if you read the specs on that 18" Black Widow - it will carry higher frequencies than a 15 Black Widow will. My cabinet sounded good ! I have also owned a 1516 - also a good cabinet !