1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

peavey 1810

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by joey514, Feb 17, 2014.

1. joey514

joey514

i have speakers from an old peavey 1810 cabinet. maybe from the 80's but i'm not sure. i want to mount them in seperate"can't spell" cabinets....18-2x10's. i'm not sure of the ohm ratings on each. any help would be appreciated.
  2. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    It's actually 1820. Regardless, I can tell you for sure that you have a black widow and 2 scorpions. The cab is 4Ω, so, although I can't confirm this, I'd wager that you have 2- 16Ω 10" and an 8Ω 18". I had a 3620 way back in the day, it was 4Ω, too, but if I ran just the 2x10 top section, it was 8Ω. The tens are (IIRC, I had the same ones in my 3620) general purpose speakers that were "meh" with full range bass guitar.
    You can just check the DC resistance with a voltmeter, it'll tell you pretty close to where the impedance is. So are the speakers all you have, and not the whole cab? It will be a total shot in the dark at getting a good-sounding cab from any of them without lots more info than just their impedance. At least, I hope you have the original cab's compartment and port dimensions...
  3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Looks like a visit to Sears, Home Depot, Lowes etc. to get an OHM meter is the first thing that you need to do. Then you'll be sure what you're starting with and can start from there. :)
  4. BassikLee

BassikLee

Disclosures:
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Actually, he may have the drivers from an 1810. They were before the 1820. I had two different ones, back when the earth was cooling. The 1810 was a smaller box than the 1820, by a smidge.
  5. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I stand corrected, never heard that model#. I know the Crate version was called 1810, and like I said, my similar cab was the 3620. I remember the 1516 also, I really did just make an assumption based on how the model #'s corresponded to the configs, so my bad.
    Anyway, has anyone ever found T/S parameters on these older drivers? I think the newer ones can be found, but are likely different. I've actually thought about trying to come up with better sounding cabs for them myself, since those old Peavey cabs and combos sell for so little, and definitely get loud and last nearly forever.
  6. joey514

joey514

i sliced up the cabinet and made an 18" bottom and a 2x10 top. the 18 sounds warm for small rooms but as i said there was no OHM marking on them. i could stack the 2 cabinets but without the info i don't want to mess with the head. (peavey max 700). i'm just an old bass man, not good with tech though. thank you for the help so far.
  7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Yep, I owned a Peavey 1810 many years ago. Used it with a GK 400RB. Sounded great - weighed a ton...
  9. punkrocko

punkrocko Supporting Member

10. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I've got two 1810's. Both have the same speakers. The 18 is four ohms and each 10" Scorpion is 8 ohms, the pair of 10's in parallel are 4 ohms.

Whoever is stating the 18 is 8 ohms and the 10's are 16 ohms is mistaken.
  11. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I remember that cabinet to be the most akward shaped heavy hard to carry box in history. It did have a cool vibe in its' day.
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Me too:D

Nice Kaw triple in your avatar BTW;)