1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey 410b Speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Synthax, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Synthax

Synthax

Hi everyone,
    I was just given an old peavey 410 and while refurbishing the cabinet i noticed a few things. The speakers may possible need replacing in the future as they look a tad worn, but still sound good for now. Inside are 3 what I assume to be stock 10's labeled
    10419 16 ohm
    451046-1 on the underside of the paper cone

also 1 eminence legend 10" with no other marking

I think from the way its wired its 4 ohm, and maybe 250 or 300 rms

the ports on the front face of the cab are just 4 round holes approx 2 inches
    the inside of the cabinet is approx
    14" deep
    22.5 inches wide
    23.0 inches high

is there a speaker i can use with this cabinet to make it 8 ohm 350 (ish) rms or possibly up the rms rating to 500 (ish) at 4 ohm

i dont want to spend a ton, but 80 per speaker would be in line with what i can spend.

Im sorry, i tried to do some of the calculations etc myself, searched on here and read for many hours, im just stuck and could use some advice.

Ill be powering this cabinet with an Ampeg PF500 and play mostly rocks , classic rock

Thanks again

Neil

2. Tuned

Tuned

At $80 per speaker you're stuck finding more Eminence Legends. Take a peek at the Eminence site and see which Legend model looks like yours. There's three different models (one has a 4-ohm option for a total of four):
    http://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/bass-guitar/

Odds are the Legend speaker you have is 8-ohm, and the others are 16, which is no good. If you got three Legends to match the one you have (even if the one you have is older and a little less power handling) you'd have an 8-ohm 4x10 that would handle all your PF500 could put out, although it wouldn't be as efficient as higher end 4x10's, so still room for improvement. I figure you'll be happy with it for now.

If it's not quite up to snuff, a cheap way to get more out of your amp would be to add an 8-ohm 1x15 cab. Again, not what I'd recommend for best tone, but for the buck it would do a lot for overall output if you're lacking.

3. Tuned

Tuned

Actually if ultra-cheap is what you want, just disconnect the worst of the original drivers. That leaves the best two of the original 16 ohm drivers in parallel with the 8 ohm Legend. That would be a 4 ohm cab good to 350-400W. The Legend would bear twice the power of each of the connected original drivers, which makes sense because the Legend has gotta be the toughest driver. The unconnected driver would act as a passive resonator, better than an empty hole. You'll want to move the Legend to an upper position if it's not already there.

4. Synthax

Synthax

I founf the number 10516 buried under a rubber gasket thing on the magnet. I looked it up and it says 16 ohm. I dont really want to go ultra cheap, but i definitely dont need top end either. Is there a 100 ish dollar decent replacement 10 that would work with this cab to the 350 8 ohm or 500 4 ohm, id rather get a better speaker and just work a little OT to get it.

Thanks again,

Neil

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tuned

Tuned

7. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

8. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I have two of those old Peaveys. I replaced the speakers in one, using MCM Electronics, discontinued Eminence Beta 10 knockoffs. The MCM speakers are 150 watts, and have outperformed the actual Beta 10's I have in every application I've used them in. The excursion exceeds the Betas. I got them for under $11 each and bought a bunch.

The one problem was that the speaker openings were slightly small for the MCM's. I had to enlarge them slightly, which wasn't easy with the non-removable baffle. The MCM's perform great...as efficient, much tighter with more power handling. I love them and this cabinet with them.

The MCM model number was 55-1740, and they aren't available anymore. Whether the current MCM 10's are similar (or even superior) I don't know. I've used the current MCM 12 and 15" cast frame woofers, and they both need midranges. They are however, efficient with incredible low end. The graph for the 12" though, shows more high end than they appear to have in my cabinets. I added sealed midrange speakers, crossed over at 800Hz.

There are specs here for the 1740...middle of the page
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/ProductData/Catalog50/section05.pdf

Here is one of their current speakers...a cast frame 100 watt 10" $20
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-2961-/55-2961

This is the stamped frame version (ignore the 8" mentioned in the description) It's 125 watts. $12.50
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2951

Here's their 250 watt cast frame 10" 6.5mm Xmas $30
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2981&green=7B8F381A-B168-54CE-ACC0-60C0A02EE15B

Spec sheets are linked on the pages.

I wired the two 4X10's using the MCM 8 ohm speakers in parallel/series for an 8 ohm cabinet. The current MCM speakers are usually available in 4 ohms too, if a 4 ohm cabinet is desired.

9. Synthax

Synthax

Thanks for all the input guys, look like ive got a lot of research to do , but now at least I have a starting point to get me along.
    Thanks again
    Neil