1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey 610TVX?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TJBass, Mar 2, 2010.

1. TJBass

TJBass

I can't find anything on this cabinet, its being sold locally and just want to make sure this is not a scam. Did peavey make a 6x10?

2. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

it's either a scam or a typo. 810tvx, 410tvx, but no 610tvx.

3. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

4. TJBass

TJBass

Heres a pic....

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TJBass

TJBass

Maybe they cut the bottom of an 8x10!!!!!

7. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

Hmmmmmmmmm.Speakers look right,tweeter..............I can find nothing online about a 610TVX.

Color me stumped.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Who knows.. could be..

Not sure anyone would scam a 610..

could be a replant of speakers etc... pix aren't clear enough to ID

9. TJBass

TJBass

No ports on the front either, I'm waiting to hear back from the guy, hope its not a chop job.

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

It could be a prototype cabinet that never went into production. The info above is correct Peavey only made the TVX as 810, 410, 210, 412 cabinet configurations.

TD

11. waleross

waleross

Harmony Central does not list a Peavy 610TVX, if they don't review it then it might be a scam however it could also be that nobody reviewed it either......

12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Certainly looks like that could be what's happened.

TVX's had front ports and were tolex covered. TXF's had rat-fur (but they also had front ports).

Now if he had said 610TX . . . :p

(tho I'm pretty sure that didn't exist either!)

13. Stu L.

Stu L.

There's a PV engineer here at TB, Bobbybld maybe? I may have the username totally wrong though. I'd find and ask him.

Edit; and from the iPhone I'm not sure I don't see a small shelf port on there.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

I've owned every Peavey cabinet they made prior to their new product line. They never made a 610 bass cab. They did make a 610 guitar cab. Avoid it for bass!!!

It is either an 810 cut down, or an existing (or DIY) 610 cab, perhaps loaded with Peavey speakers? Or it is a 610 guitar cab in which case do not buy it for bass.

It would be easy to make a 610 Peavey bass cab...just find some 3/4" petrified wood, load it with some car batteries (just for the authentic weight) and then throw some speakers in it. :D

610 Guitar cab (it doesn't look like a TVX, or TXF style at any rate, nor do the speakers look the same). It's possible someone took the guitar cab, glued on some rat fur and threw some bass speakers in it. I personally wouldn't touch it knowing Peavey never made a 610 bass cab.

[​IMG]

15. lug

lug

Looks like correct Shefield speakers but definately not a TVX or TXF box.

heres a 4X10 TXF for comparison..

[​IMG]

See if you can get a look at the handles.

16. Sundogue

Despite the angle the pic is taken at, does anybody else see the difference between the bottom right speaker and the other five (look at the dust cap). The other five all show a slight diminished size due to the camera angle, but the bottom one's dust cap looks significantly smaller than the others.

I just opened it in Photoshop and enlarged it. I also increased the color saturation evenly. You can clearly see that not only is the dustcap smaller on the bottom right speaker, the color of the cone is not the same as the others either.

[​IMG]

17. TJBass

TJBass

Yeah I can see a difference in the outer ring of the speaker with your enhancements too, like the surround is just a little thinner than the other five speakers.

18. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I also believe the Peavey cabs had rat fur covering the baffle board, whereas the cab in question does not.

19. Sundogue

Peavey cabs never had rat fur covering the baffle. Unless it was a custom upgrade. :D :eyebrow:

20. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I stand corrected.......thanks.

It's been a while since I sold off my 4X10 and 2X10.

21. RDT

RDT

I have owned a 4x10 TVX and a 4x10TX cab. There are subtle differences in each. It kinda looks like the bottom right speaker either, 1.) has been re-coned, 2.) it came from a TVX cab. The TX cabs used the same cone as the other 5 spkrs.

Also, the older TX cabs were rear ported with a round port. Whereas the newer TVX cabs are front ported with 2 4" slots in the bottom.

Also, the grill cover is not from a TVX or TX bass cab. The TX has black expanded metal, as does the TVX...except the TVX is slightly larger in size.

Also, the older TX cab were covered in carpet, whereas the newer TVX cabs are in black tolex.

If you can, look at the crossover, it'll say what it is. If it is a homeade cab, made out of peavey 10" (most likely Sheffield 8ohm), be very cautious of the actual ohms...not what the current owner says it is. With 6- 8ohms spkrs, if wired parallel/series, you'll have 5.25ohms resistance. Make sure your amp can handle it.

I'd be a little concerned about the porting on the cab in the picture...where is it? If it's in the back...how large is it? As well as the Ohm.:eyebrow: