1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey 810 TVX Restoration

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by benderman45, Mar 3, 2014.

1. benderman45

benderman45

Hey guys. About a month ago a was skimming through the craigslist adds and came across a bare Peavey cab. Picked it up over an hour away in -10 degree weather, but it was worth it.

Here she sits before I start the sanding. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a 3M rough sander attached to a drill. Worked really well to get off all the old dried glue and tolex thread.

After the sanding!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I used the drill, and after these pictures, I hand sanded it with a 3M rough block. Followed up with a 3M fine block.

Read some reviews and testimonials about duratex from fellow TBers. So I decided to try it out. It is incredibly easy to apply. And it looks and feels fantastic!! Give it an A+. Only thing I would suggest is using wood filler or your preferred product to fill in nail holes, chips, ect... I read somewhere that duratex fills small imperfections. Well it does not. Haha. I am not mad. Gotta learn somehow. But next time I will for sure fill every imperfection no matter the size.

Here is the cab after a couple of coats of duratex!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to get new hardware for the cab. Got handles, casters, corners, feet, and jack plate all from parts-express.
    Heres the old Handles:
    [​IMG]

And the new handles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old Casters:
    [​IMG]

New Casters:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old Corners:
    [​IMG]

New Corners:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Jack Plate:
    [​IMG]

(I had to cut the Handle holes and caster holes a little bigger for the new ones to fit.)

She's starting to come together!!!

Put some foam in. Pulled it out of some hartke 410's i scraped for this project.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of the hartke 410s. I took all 8 speakers from 2 410s for this cab. I like the sound of the aluminum drivers and wanted an 810 instead of 2 410s. They are 8 ohm speakers rated at 100 watts. So i wired them as a mix between parallel and series to get a final ohm of 4. (I use an ampeg pf500 head) Here is me wiring them:
    [​IMG]

and here is the diagram that i used made from another TBer.
    [​IMG]

Got her all wired up and tested her out before bolting in the speakers. Everything worked perfectly!

Got the speakers bolted on and sat her upright!
    [​IMG]

Played my ibanez though her for almost an hour. It sounded good. And I'm happy that the cab kinda matches the head now. Haha.

I have the original metal grill cover that I installed after the pictures. She looks really good. Ill get a picture of that later put up.

She's heavy, but I'm young. Lol. I am very happy with final product of the restoration.

Specifics: 4 Ohms & 800 watts.

Thanks for checking out my thread! Let me know what you think or ask any questions that you have!

Eric

2. drea2304

drea2304 Supporting Member

Looks nice. Bet it sounds awesome.

3. benderman45

benderman45

Thanks man!!

4. benderman45

benderman45

Also im selling the hartke cabs unloaded. PM me if you're interested.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Wow, excellent job. Peavey cabs are brick s**thouses. I have and old 1820 that I split into a 2 x 10 and a 1 x 18. Very good job.

7. benderman45

benderman45

Thanks man! means a lot!

8. kcole4001

kcole4001

Nice!
    Good call on the new hardware, it definitely gives it an updated look and is a bit more functional than the old stuff (bigger wheels/more clearance, and more comfortable handles).

9. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

I noticed the new casters hang down a bit more than the old ones. Does the cab lean forward because of that? If so you can run a strip of wood under the front of the cab to get her to stand up straight again. Makes a nice handle, too!

10. benderman45

benderman45

Hey thanks dude! Glad you like it!

11. benderman45

benderman45

Glad you brought that up. They are bigger than the stock wheels. The cab was a little chewed up on the bottem because the original casters are super tiny and barely lifted the cab off the ground. So it had no clearence. So now with the bigger casters did have that problem with the tilt. So i just doubled up the rubber feet i bought to make it about an inch and a half. This worked really well initially. But its pretty flimsy after only a week of hardly moving it. So that wont work on the road at shows. So i will probaby install a strip of wood like you suggested. Thanks for the input!!!

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

Really nice job on the restoration I like it when people do stuff like this. It a little like personalizing your own cab. I noticed the casters as well. They look like they are made using the softer blue rubber or urethane. I bet they roll a lot nicer then the originals. I could never figure out why cabinet builders install those hard rubber or plastic casters on cabinets. Okay well, yes I do. Because they are cheap... It just transfers more vibration and makes the cabinets really noisy to roll around.

Anyway great job and have fun rocking that beast.

13. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Nice job man! I really liked the design of those cabs a lot. I wish ampeg would change the 810 to something more like this. It just seems easier to move.

14. benderman45

benderman45

Thank you! and the casters are so nice now. feels like its just gliding now, not rolling. They take the weight of the cab as if its nothing.

15. benderman45

benderman45

Hey, thank you sir! The design is really cool. Im very thankful that peavey used 3/4 inch plywood and not particle board or mdf board. It makes the cab much tougher and gives it a better tone.

16. dustybottoms

dustybottoms Supporting Member

Looks great!! Did you ever get the grill on? If so.... Post a pic! :) Also, how much Duratex did it take to do the job? ... And if you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on Duratex supplies? I'm shopping for a good restoration 810 and your thread has really inspired me. Thanks.

17. benderman45

benderman45

I haven't yet. The original metal grill is a little more banged up than i thought. So i just gotta clean it up. I put about 4 coats on. I still have over half of my gallon. So $54 for the duratex itself, then the shipping on it. And the roller was a couple of bucks. So it was extremely cheep. Plus i have more left over for other restoration projects. Incredible deal, i highly recommend it!

18. superjesus

superjesus

I love restorations like this one. Looks like a cab that thumps hard. Great job!

19. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Yeah, Duratex does a great job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. benderman45

benderman45

Yeah she can definitely push some air! I wish i had a tubed head though. Maybe soon! Thanks for checking it out! it means a lot!

21. benderman45

benderman45

OMG she's incredible! I love duratex! Do you have any before pictures?