Peavey Axcelerator- NEED HELP!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rtyd, Mar 22, 2014.

1. rtyd

rtyd

Hello All,

So recently I received a peavey axcelerator:D, and sadly it has seen better days:(. The body & neck are in perfect condition. Im pretty sure it needs new pickups and I know it needs a new bridge (possibly a new pick guard). Where would I get these parts?

Also...When I plugged it into an Amp to see if it worked at all, the amp started making loud popping/cracking sounds, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I looked at the innards and everything seems to be in good health, except for one cable came detached from one of the tone/volume controls.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, this is my first 6-string and I really like it and have heard good things about this model of peavey basses.
    [​IMG]

Thank You.

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

You're option:
    1)Get whatever aftermarket parts to get it playable
    2)Find another junk Axelerator with the parts you need
    3) Find another one that's in playing condition and then sell yours or keep it for parts

I recommend option 3

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2

Do this first . Most likely you'll just have to re-attach that cable and spray all the pots with de-ox electronic cleaner , the lube type . Check the jack with a plug in it to see if it makes good contact .

Peavey customer service is great . Get hold of them , tell them what you have and ask to talk to a guitar/bass tech . Maybe they still have parts for your bass . The pickups are probably the VFL like the Cirrus basses so they might have them though I'd suspect the pre more than the pickups .

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

What makes you think you need new pickups?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

It's quite possible it's something very simple in the electronics, but I would not recommend going too far in buying new parts to repair. It wouldn't take much to get it where you would have more invested in it than it's worth. That's why I recommend just finding another one.

7. Blues Infidel

Blues Infidel Gold Supporting Member

If you aren't exactly sure where the wire goes, PM me and I can take a photo of the inside of mine. It's a four, but that shouldn't matter. If the neck is good and the fix blues bass 2 recommends clears the crackling - which I suspect it will - you should be in pretty good shape. That bridge might clean up. My pickguard darkened over the years like yours. Personally I like it.

8. rtyd

rtyd

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I will contact peavey and hear what they have to say. I apparently also have a friend who works at Guitar Center as a servicer who said he would cut me a deal, so I am gonna talk to him as well. But if the results are not so good I may just go with option 3, I really dont have the money to pour hundreds of dollars into fixing this thing.

9. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke

OK,no one else has asked, have you changed the batteries yet?

10. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

As far as the bridge goes, contact ABM to see if they can sell you the pieces that you're missing. You have one piece where the string is in the pic. Just need 5 more. BTW, this is a very pricey bridge, and is very well designed and made. Not sure you're going to find something better. They used these on several basses including the US Cirrus line.