1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey BASS I.D.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Nov 9, 2012.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

I'm thinking of having a punt on this Peavey, but emailing the shop resulted in no reply

Does it look like a C4-NT, or an early Grind maybe ? Though i thought earlier Grinds had the cut out around the lower horn, so maybe not a Grind. A search here through the Peavey Clubs had me growing a beard, there's that many pages, so had to give up and ask :cool:

Its an interesting selection of woods - anyone know what they could be ? - looks kinda tiger stripey.

Anyone know the string spacing too ?

I dont like those type of bridges and would prefer something like the Schaller adjustable roller bridge, but i;m not sure if the bridge mounting holes would line up, or even if the number of
    bridge mounting holes are the same .. 3,4,5, etc

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

It's a Grind. Kind of a nice looking example. How much do they want?
  3. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

I thought all the grinds had string through body bridges?
    Millennium maybe, you got a serial number or better shot of the head stock?
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Definitely a Grind. Definitely not a Millennium. Import Millenniums have bolt on necks and, depending whether it's passive or active, either 3 or 5 control knobs.
  5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Thanks guys - no serial number, and passive. Price is £140 GBP

About $220 ? They describe this as barely used

I must admit i've never seen a Grind with that wood combo

V. nice

Will try and get better shots and serial No. - possibly by this weekend
  6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

NB

Just had a quick gaze thru a peavey thread, and never found a grind with that wood combo, and the grind fret dots seem to be on the upper edge of the fret board rather than along the middle

The only PV i found with that wood combo, same bridge, gold hardware, fret dots along the middle, was this TB members' C5

[​IMG]
  7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I stand corrected. That's a C4. Apparently it's a Europe-only model, which is why I misidentified it. $220 and barely used? You can't lose.
  8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Wow - you guys never got the C4 over there ? I wonder who makes those kinda decisions. Seems a bit mad

Anyways fella - thanks for the final confirmation

Hopefully some better pics to come
  9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Well, i aint sure i got better pics, but the bass now lives with me, and all seems well. Body is in great condition, and have just given it a clean and polish and about to fit new strings.

Couldnt find a serial number anywhere ?? Is it hidden ..?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The serial number was on a paper sticker on the back of the headstock. It's common to find them missing.
  11. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

OMG

What a brilliant idea that was Peavey ! I can date my 89 RS Sig but not this one.

Cheers dude
  12. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Man that is one sharp looking bass.

I may have to really start keeping my eyes open for the Peavey's
    I played a Cirrus (<---spell check) & was blown away by the basses overall fit & finish, sound was so idk? Smooth/woody/very very clean sounding.
    Not sure how to describe it, but it was nice.

Almost bought an 80's Foundation the other day but passed due to a horrible body refin that was otherwise beat to death, brought back and run through a giant garbage disposal.
    The maple neck was still awesome and still tempting to grab, but NOT for $200
  13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You can buy an all-original 80's Foundation in excellent condition for $200.
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman

I'm sorry, but YOU are only allowed to play Jazz basses.

Preferably Fender or Squier.

I don't make the rules, man.
  15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Hey, I can live with that.

Just don't tell anyone I've already got a P and plant to probably obtain others. Shhhhhh!
  16. rimbaud

rimbaud

Definitely a Cirrus 4 low end series made in Indonesia.... maybe in the late 90's, I think it was only sold in Europe, not US. There's some US series you now can't even find in Europe... but the price isn't the same, the pickups and the preamp too ;)
  17. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

So what makes this definately a Cirrus and not a C4 ?
  18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

It's not a Cirrus. It is a C4. Until this thread popped up, I was unaware of the existence of the C4, but I'm very familiar with the Cirrus line. The bridge used on your bass was never put on either the US or the BXP Cirrus models. The US model had an ABM bridge, and the BXP's had the "finger style" individual bridges. The volume/tone control network is different on a Cirrus than it is on your bass. The Cirrus has a 5-knob setup (vol., pan, high, mid, low). I don't know a lot about the C4, but I've read it has passive electronics, and the Cirrus line is active.
  19. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Beautiful bass. Everything I would be looking for in a bass...
  20. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Yeah i'm pretty sure its a C4, just wondered what the previous poster was gonna say as to why it was " definately " a Cirrus

I'd quite like the individual finger bridge set up, which i think Ibanez call a Mono Rail bridge

Other than that, an ABM from a Cirrus would be OK. Thing is, its a 5 screw mount bridge on this C4, and finding a bridge to match the holes is probably impossible, but I dont want to mess the bass up by drilling holes elsewhere