1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey Bass Owners Club - Post Here!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FozzyBear, Apr 1, 2001.

1. FozzyBear

FozzyBear

Hi guys,

I'm new to talkbass.com, I really like it....

I was just wondering, does anyone else here have a Peavey bass? Mine is an 'International Series' - See thru red, quilted top, 2 passive soapbar pickups, matching headstock, sort of J-Bass style.

Anyone else got a Peavey? What do you think of yours?

Cheers,
    James
  2. Sedge

Sedge

One of the guys in my ex-band had a Peavey bass, and i used to play it until i got a new one myself. I have to say i dunno what model it was, but i thought it was a really great bass, especially the action, which made it really easy to play.

I might have to buy it from him actually, seeing hes moved on to become a guitarist.....
  3. FozzyBear

FozzyBear

Yeah, that's how I started playing bass....used to play the bass player in my bands bass all the time, except he used to like .35's on it, like playing with rubber bands!

Still, good luck to you, even tho' my peavey has it's faults, I still think it is a cracking bass for the money!

Cheers,
    James
  4. bassbrad

bassbrad

I have 4 Peavey basses and don't mind that a lot of players don't appreciate their good qualities because I have been able to get 2 of them really cheaply.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

I have a Peavey Cirrus 5 (maple/alder). I love it and probably will never get rid of it.
    I HAD a Peavey Millenium Plus 4, but I got rid of it for my Warwick FNA. Just couldn't get what I wanted (tone, etc.) out of the Millenium.

Oh well, I guess I am still a happy owner of a Peavey bass.

A lot of people won't even consider buying a Peavey, or even trying one out, because it says "Peavey" on the headstock. Getting over that makes a lot of people (myself included) realize that Peavey is making very high quality, excellent playing basses at a very decent price.

Later
    Ryan
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

I've got an old Peavey Pallaedium, and it is a great playing bass. It has one of the fastest necks I've every played on. And, personally, I couldn't care less what people think about their basses. I had someone actually say to me, "Well, aren't you scared people will take you less seriously because you are playing a Peavey?"

Um....no. If someone is going to judge me for the name on the headstock, then their opinion really doesn't concern me.

Besides, I picked up a nice Alder bass with an ebony fretboard, custom pickups, badass bridge, and a hard case for $235...anyone makes fun, I just smile....
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I have an old Peavey Foundation from the mid 1980's, and it's a great Jazz style bass. But the wood is starting to show it's grain through the crackling of the cheap finish. Still sounds great though. Currently on loan to an 18 year old who wnats to take up bass. It was my main bass for several years, played many a gig on it.

Here's a pic of the old workhorse:

[​IMG]
  8. Nomadic Herder

Nomadic Herder Supporting Member

I played a Peavey at a music store once. It had 2 jazz pickups and was a little pointier than a Fender Jazz. It sounded ok...except the edges of the frets cut my hands.
  9. steamboat

steamboat

One of my basses (my first one) is a Peavey Fury.. which is essentially a US made Pbass copy from the early 90's with a Maple neck. I have a better bass, but I still love it to death. I will never sell it.
  10. 5not4

5not4

I've got two. An old Dyna 5 string. One of the first ones to come out. Still plays and sounds great. I took good care of it so it looks as good as it sounds. The other is a new Cirrus 5 maple/alder. It's fantastic!! Why spend $1000 more for less quality.

It's a shame that Peavey has a such an image problem but it's good for us followers. Helps keep the price down.
  11. chance6245

chance6245

I love this bass. It is now my main rig. Sounds great and I look great on stage, oh yeah the bass looks good too. Ha!

Chance
  12. petch

petch Supporting Member

I have two Peaveys, a 4 string G-bass and a Millennium 5 string. They have great necks and low action. The fit and finish in their respective price ranges are terrific. I have played and owned numerous other basses and I really like the Peaveys. Like the other owners, I don't give a hoot about what people may think about what's on the headstock. Besides, music should bring people together, not give them something to argue about...
  13. freddylang

freddylang

I have a Peavey G-Bass and a Cirrus-4 bubbinga/walnut. I love them both and i got the Cirrus for a steal. I love the feel of the G and I don't know how to begin to describe the sound of the cirrus. It's unbelievable. I have no idea why they get a bad rap. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong.
  14. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Peavey's high end basses are excelent. You should also try out the FireBass 700 (head)!!! It has 700 watts of power! It has great tone too, and lots of controls! Great price too!
  15. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

I think Peavey gets a bad rap for no good reason. I actually sold a Warwick Thumb to go bass shopping and cam back home with the G Bass, which I love. Ergonomic, big funky sound, and low action on a lovely pao ferro fretboard. Very responsive.

I am still in the process of adding piezo pickups to it also - just to broaden its palette slightly.....I have added them + preamp and LOVE the sound (great for slap or jazzier feels) but am getting some hum....need to fix that......

Nonetheless, this bass, although not hugely expensive, was worth putting piezos into. That says it all. Plus, I love telling people about the graphite neck and extended scale.....bass geekdom is assured for me.

Can't wait to see what the new 'Jazz' style millenniums are like...maybe I could hook one of their graphite necks up to one? Who knows.

Pete
  16. Cirrus Kid

Cirrus Kid

I am an owner of a Cirrus bubinga/walnut 4 string. IMO I think it is the best bass I have ever played regardless of price. Like many of you I got the "Peavey sux" rap too. They don't have a clue. I really don't care about what peavey did in the past, the fact of the matter is that Peavey makes awesome guitars NOW.
  17. Flea Claydirnt

Flea Claydirnt

I wanna start by saying Peavey seems to be making decent basses now and I am currently interested in the Cirruses. But although it is stupid to judge things merely based on former reputation Peavey DID earn it's bad rep. The absolute worst peice of crap I have ever played had a peavey label on it. I cant give you the specific model # off hand it's more than an opinion when I say it's the worst bass I have ever played. I think all of you out there would agree if you played it too. There are also other Peavey products out there that gives them a bad rep too. But I am gonna look into the new Peavey basses to see how much better they are.
  18. freddylang

freddylang

Cirrus KID, I have the exact same one. I bought it on Ebay. The thing plays so easy and smooth and sounds great. Plus I don't like the look of a lot of Cirruses but that one blows me away. I think it looks even better than the Tiger Eye. I have a G-bass too and I actually play it more than the Cirrus. It's tone fits my needs more. The Peavey Jazz might be next for me. I don't know. I've never played one but it seems extremely similar to the G. Oh yeah, I have an Ibanez Ergodyne collecting dust. (At least it doesn't break when I don't touch it or breathe on it!)
  19. winston

winston Supporting Member

I own a fretless redwood Cirrus 5 and it's certainly one of the finest basses I've ever played, right up there with boutique instruments costing 2 0r 3 times its price. I originally had a maple 6 but I traded it in because the neck was too wide for me. I used to have a fretless Peavey Patriot bass that wasn't bad for a cheapie. My first amp was a TKO 65 and it was a toneless, unreliable hunk of junk.

I think Peavey can make great products when it makes quality a priority, and invests in good product designers, righteous materials, and sensible production techniques. The Millenium and G basses I've played are also impressive. If you had told me five years ago that I'd be the proud owner of a Peavey bass I would have laughed in your face. It's great to see you can get so much bass for your money these days!
  20. Cirrus Kid

Cirrus Kid

yeah, i think all the cirrus's are attractive. the reason i got the bubinga is because of the tone. the midrange on the that thang is crazy! they can slice threw any drum kit. it still has enough bass left over to separate from the guitar well (pretty good for the weight of the cirrus.) a lot of light basses, like the pedulla rapture i used to have, just don't have the low end (that bass sucked donkey, i must have been lit when i bought it). i did have one problem it though, i was screwing with it once, and it stopped working, i took it in and it was the battery connectors, $10. other than that it has held up fine, it's even hit the ground a couple of times before. i love it. good job peavey!