Peavey Century 120

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Woodsbass, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

What do you guys think of this head? I've got an opportunity to trade for one, is it a pretty good head? how does it sound?

2. 1n3

1n3

Never played through one. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's from the mid 70s, which was not quite Peavey's golden age.

Should be cheap, at least. What are you trading?

3. hrgiger

hrgiger

I had one, it was stolen. a good head, pretty loud with a 115. from '72 or so I believe. had a nice distortion control. I would get it you will like it, though it depends what you are trading for it...

4. bmc

bmc

It's an amp. Nothing special. 70's basic technology.

Keep in mind that one day, you're going to want to unload it. You may have a challenge selling it. I wouldn't pay more than $100-150 for one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ranbunctious

ranbunctious

I own a Peavey Century, but might not be the same one. Mine has pre & post gain so it makes a great guitar amp as well as a bass amp. With full bass & treble, I get great sound. I also like the pre out so I can drive an additional amp. I'm using a Crate Vintage 50 watt tube amp along with the Century on a full stack of 8 12"s. The Peavey on the bottom cab gives bass & punch, and the Crate tube amp gives great color and brightness. Both amps together sound like a bunch of Marshalls playing at the same time. I absolutely love it. I also bridge the Peavey to a Sunn Coliseum 300 watt bass amp into a 18" folded horn cab. It sounds so much better than just the Sunn alone. The preamp in the Peavey is perfect with no hum. I'll own the Peavey until the day I die.

7. Blue9

Blue9

Found this old thread while doing a search to find out what I'm playing through in my friend's basement - it's this Peavey Century 120. I hate it. I'm not any good at playing bass, but I really hate the sounds that come out of this amp. Maybe it's just the cab (118?), but I suspect it's both the head and the cab that sound like crap. Very undefined. I can get decent low-end except on an open E - it sounds TERRIBLE then. I absolutely avoid striking my E string without fretting at least an F#. And playing on the G string doesn't come across very well either. So essentially it is just okay in the low-mids and mids, and terrible everywhere else.

I can't wait to find something I want to spend money on so I can take a new rig over to their basement and they can give this thing away.

Anyway - just wanted to put my opinion out there in case anyone stumbles across this thread researching whether to buy one of these amps. I would recommend NOT buying one - I'm positive you can find a better amp out there.

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Yeah, it's an old Peavey...not worth a whole lot. But....try it through something other than that 18 and someplace other than that basement.

9. vellu

vellu

Hi

Does anyone knows about these serial numbers, just wondering, in what year these are from?
    Amp 4A-39058
    Cab 4E-63275, and the speaker:
    15454F
    67 7440

10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Well the speaker is an Eminence built in the 40th week of 1974. The rest PM BbbyBld and he can most likely help (Peavey MI engineer).

11. vellu

vellu

OK, thanks very much, inside the amp is also marked:
    111874, maybe from -74 too?

12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Most likely :).

13. vellu

vellu

Well, replacing one capacitor, works perfectly.

[​IMG]

14. Bugeyed Earl

Bugeyed Earl

It certainly looks great for an almost-free amp (assuming the capacitor cost something,) nice score!

15. vellu

vellu

Thanks Earl, capacitor cost 1,5€, round 2$ :D

16. slickrick63

slickrick63

Zombie thread resurrection alert!!! I think everyone should have an old turd like this as their first amp. It will make you appreciate when you can afford an amp that's even remotely close to adequate.I had one of these running through some unmarked cabinet that was older than the head. It was about 4ff. tall, 2 ft. wide, and 6 inches deep. The head weighed about 80 pounds. The cabinet weighed about 10 pounds. Whenever I hit the E string, it sounded like a walrus vomiting up his own farts. Its a long way from my current SVT Classic/SWR Megoliath setup. Ths beauty (or shame..depending how you look at it) of the whole thing is, I was playing a 1973 Fender Precision Bass through that thing. I never got to hear that bass in all it's glory.