Peavey Cirrus-4 (USA)…scale length

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Dec 23, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

The 35" scale on this bass didn't used to bother me, but the more I fall in love with my EBMM Sterling, the more I find that it's simply easier to move around on that neck versus the Cirrus. I have a decent reach for someone with small hands who is small in general (I am a lady bassist!) and I have long fingers and good left-hand technique. I play with low action and a light touch. But in spite of this, no matter what I do, the more I get into playing faster stuff and lines which require a lot of precision (like disco octaves and the like), the more the Cirrus just kills me in first position.

Has anyone ever sold a bass they loved because it doesn't "fit" them? My heart is sort of breaking right now but it seems strange to keep a bass that is not necessarily a good ergonomic match for me. I really want a US Marcus Miller Fender Jazz and it would certainly help my wallet to let the Cirrus go and put that money towards the Jazz, but it also makes me feel a little bummed because I worry I'll miss it. The thing is though, it kinda seems like hanging onto a pair of shoes that you like but they hurt your feet. You know?

Thoughts? Hugs? Thanks!

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

As a matter of fact I flipped a USA Cirrus for that very reason. It wasn't the first 35" bass I moved, but I have learned my lesson. I always check the scale length before going ahead with a purchase.

The Cirrus I had was a beautiful bass, but no matter how much I liked it first position was a chore. For my hands it just doesn't work.

So, console yourself that it's not really a sacrifice. You're just using it to get something that really suits you.

BTW, have you tried any 32" scale basses? I was weaned on 34" and that's the length almost all my basses - but that 32" fits like a glove. Check it out if you haven't.

3. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

That makes me feel a little better. And by all means it's not the first time I've heard people complain about the scale length, I'm just surprised that it took me this long to really have issues with it.

For now, I have my heart set on the Marcus Miller which I believe is 34" but if I came across a 32" that I liked otherwise, I certainly wouldn't rule it out. It cracks me up that six months ago I almost sold the Sterling because of not liking the tone and now I can't get enough of it, I practically sleep with the damn thing under my pillow. However, I held onto it because ergonomically it feels good to me and now I've started to really appreciate the tone too. So go figure.

I just think that when one has certain physical limitations (like being smaller in size, say, or having a bad shoulder, which unfortunately I do), after a point, ergonomics kinda trump tone/look when it comes to choosing a bass.

The other thing is that I see them all over the place and I feel like if I regret it I could always buy another one, frivolous as that may sound….sigh. Being little sucks sometimes. :(

Mods, where do we put "feeler" posts for gear we might sell? In Classifieds? Please advise…thanks!

4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I believe the Cirrus Bolt-on neck 4 string is 34" scale. The 5 string and all the Neck Thru Cirrus are 35" scale.

So, you *could* have a 34" scale Cirrus....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Any bass, no matter how cool it looks or how great it sounds, should limit your creativity by imposing physical restrictions. Period.

If it makes you cramp, or it's too heavy, (or not heavy enough!) it's time for it to go live with someone that can handle it. I mean, what's the point of having an instrument you don't feel like playing?

Sometimes it's not about discomfort. I've had many perfectly good basses where I get them, play them, love the look, tone is good etc etc...but after a while I just don't feel it with them, for whatever reason. When I go on a gig and I find I'm not considering them, it is time to go.

Hope the MM works out. If it doesn't there is a bass somewhere that will. ;)

7. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Stu, thanks for the tip, mine is a neck-through so I didn't even think of that. Hm, I guess you never know! Well I'm gonna put together a hypothetical ad for it and just see who might be interested and also see if I can get my hands on a Marcus Miller Jazz to try out. Might as well follow this through and go with my gut for now...