1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey Cirrus 5 Tigereye VS Yamaha BBNE2 Nathan East VS Yamaha TRB5PII 5-Neck-Thru

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Langueta, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Was thinking of buying one of these: Peavey Cirrus 5 Tigereye, Yamaha BBNE2 Nathan East or Yamaha TRB5PII 5-Neck-Thru
    Please compare these 3 basses in terms of construction, playability, appearance, sound, value , versatility....
    Or give any personal opinions and thoughts or recomendations...
    I think they are 3 wonderfull instruments....every recording I heard with these sounded great
  2. Langueta

Langueta Guest

3. vision

vision Supporting Member

In my opinion, all three of those basses are overpriced when buying new. You can get a used Peavey Cirrus for around $800-900 with no problem (granted, the tigereye model is harder to find used, but there's no advantage in tone there). The TRB is nice, but I actually prefer the older TRB5 model over that one. I haven't played the new BBNE2, but I was never a fan of the electronics on the original Nathan East.

Bottom line, while all three of those are really nice basses, if you're looking to spend $2500-$2600 on a bass, there are a ton of other options out there that you may want to consider.
  4. cb56

cb56

Actually the tiger eye is the only non custom shop Cirrus that has the pre amp from the USA Millennium with sweepable mids. That being said, some folks are buying the Millennium preamp from peavey ($75) and dropping them in their standard Cirrus.
    IMO unless you just have to have sweepable mids or really love the tiger eye finish, you might as well just get a plain old Cirrus and save some cash. And I agree, a used one in good shape is even a better deal.
  5. Langueta

Langueta Guest

If so, give some other recomendations
  6. vision

vision Supporting Member

+1...I did that exact upgrade on the redwood Cirrus I had for 8 years. It really didn't make a big difference to me though - as you said the only difference is the sweepable mids, and I really didn't use the mid control on my Cirrus much at all. But if that is a big deal, it is cheap and simple to do the upgrade. So you'd have to REALLY like the tigereye finish to want to pay $2600 for it when you can easily get a standard USA Cirrus, with the preamp upgrade, for under $1000 total.
  7. vision

vision Supporting Member

In the $2500-$2600 price range, the possibilities are endless. Two of the three basses you mentioned have soapbar pickups. If you want to go in that direction you could get a used MTD 535, or even a used neck through Ken Smith if you find a good deal. You could go with Elrick, Sadowsky Modern, Stambaugh, Nordstrand, F Bass, etc. A good place to look for deals if you're talking about used basses would be the Talkbass classifieds.

Or, if you are really impressed with the recorded tone of the Cirrus, then as I mentioned in the post above you can get one and then order the upgraded preamp from Peavey for under $1000 total.

But to narrow this down, what type of tone are you after? What basses have you owned in the past? What type of music to you play? Your profile doesn't have much info to go on.
  8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

I'd love to try a BBNE5. The price puts me off though, buying new. In that price range, Vision is correct, there are only a couple hundred options both new and used. What kind of tone are you after? Keep in mind the Cirrus is also pretty narrow string spacing, the BBNE2 is 18mm at the bridge and 34" scale, and I believe the TRB is 35" scale. So, I bet they all play pretty differently. What's motivating you to pick between these three?
  9. vision

vision Supporting Member

+1...these are 3 very different basses in terms of features and tone. The only thing in common is that are all neck through 5 strings.
  10. bottomzone

bottomzone

I have not played either of the yamaha basses mentioned, but the ones that I have heard sound good. However, as a Cirrus 5 owner, I'm recommending a used Cirrus. Next to my Ken Smith Black Tiger 5, my Cirrus is the best bass that I have ever played or owned!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:
  11. Langueta

Langueta Guest

I will buy new
  12. vision

vision Supporting Member

If you have to buy new, get one of the basic Cirrus models vs. that tigereye for $2600 - like this one for $1879:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...rrus-5-Redwood-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=511358

I still think it's overpriced (you'll take a HUGE depreciation hit if you ever decide to sell it) but not nearly as bad as the tigereye.

IMO though, based on some of the influences you have and the music you like, a nice jazz bass might be the best route for you (both warm and punchy, versatile enough for rock, jazz, funk, etc.) In the price range you're considering, sticking to new instruments, you could get a nice Sadowsky Metro. Here's the in stock list:

http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/metro_b_is.html
  13. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Help!!more recomendations cause in one week I have to decide myself
  14. Sean Baumann

Its a tough decision, I don't think I can help you much. Buy the BBNE2 and tell me what you think, that way I can decide if I want to buy it too :D
  15. bottomzone

bottomzone

Here are a few more to add to the mix.

The Human Base Xoc5:

http://bassplayer.tv/ Click on the Basses & Gear scrolling icon at the bottom, then on BP Summer NAMM 2007 and then on Human Base.

The Carvin Icon:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/jamroom/rooms/IC6.mp3

Again, I've never played either of these basses, but they both sound good to me!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:
  16. vision

vision Supporting Member

If your uncle can order from anywhere in the states, check out some of these bass megastore websites...all have a great selection of mid to high end basses that may peak your interest:

www.basscentral.com

www.bassexchange.com

www.austinbasstraders.com

www.bassnw.com

www.thelowend.net

If you see something interesting, post it up here in this thread and we can give you some opinions.
  17. Sean Baumann

18. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

I have a BB NE 2, I traded my Roscoe for it. I own and MTD 535, an MTD JJ5 and a Skjold. Tonally, the BB NE 2 has full bottom, but not boomy, the mid off/on switch will give you limitless tones. The neck rarely needs adjustment, it plays like butter, no neck dive. Well you hear everyday on the radio how it records (Fourplay, Eric Clapton, Michael McDonald, Buccelli, George Duke, Anita Baker: All the artist thaat Nathan East performs with). I have done several recordings with mine, and it always gets rave reviews. I have played the Peavy Cirrus, and it sounds very much like the Ken Smith's, but they eat up batteries like crazy, according to friends of mine who own them. I have used my East in Rock bands, Smooth Jazz ensembles and Pop, and it covers many genre's. I highly recommend the BB NE 2. If you have not tried a Skjold, it's a monster. Check them out at Skjold Design Guitars. But of your choices, you won't go wrong with the BB NE 2. You can get them used for around $1,800. As for high quality and highend basses, you should check out www.Bassspecialties.com. Glenn, the owner is an incredible bassist and has new and used basses of all types. He's a great guy, gives you a great deal, and great advice.
  19. Langueta

Langueta Guest

I can trust him and his store?????I won´t be able to try the instrument, my uncle will bring it, he doesn´t know nothing about instruments...but perhaps if I buy it in a store I can buy used...if they are trustworthy and I will be sure they won´t change the pickups, or make other changes to the bass, or sell me other thing different than what I asked for.....
    Any of you know more stores with used instruments, with pictures and web page?????
  20. subdude99

subdude99

I have a Nathan East and love it, but haven't used it for awhile. It's an older one with the natural finish instead of all white. If you want a used one, I may be tempted to sell for say $1100. I love the electronics, very versatile.