Peavey Cirrus pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fender122, Apr 15, 2014.

1. fender122

fender122

10 months ago, I saw a Peavey Cirrus 5 BXP for cheap in craiglist and gave it a try. I immediately fell in love with the sound and growl this bass had. Very full sound, growly mids and lots of harmonics. But the bass had a couple of flaws...it had very rough time and the neck was not totally straight, so action was difficult to adjust. It's what they call a Darkwood I think and it weights a ton and a half.

I decided to go a step higher and buy a US model. Here in Canada they're really hard to find, so I had to buy over internet. I found a very nice Walnut/Wenge top in good condition. The bass plays very well, incredible action...a very well made bass. But a slight disappointment on sound. Pickups seems nowhere near as hot as the ones on the BXP. Lot less highs and high mids. Yes it sounds like a Cirrus, but not as growly as the BXP. I was expecting the opposite...

In conversations I had with different Cirrus owners, one said that at some point Peavey changed the pickups and that the new ones were really hotter and brighter. Anyone is aware of this ?

Thanks !

2. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Cant answer your question, but just wanted to say I love my BXP 5, it is lightweight (4kg), ergonomy is great, neck is perfect and intonates all the way to the 24-th fret (except B string, it looses intonation somewhere between 12-th and 24-th, but I think this is normal for non-fanned bass). Action is very good, but not perfect, neck stability also very good (but not p)... Interesting thing, I don't love tone as much as you do, but I do compare it with mega-growly Warwick, and that is very high standard.

If you liked your BXP that much, why don't you just get another one?