1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Peavey Cirrus pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fender122, Apr 15, 2014.

1. fender122

fender122

Aug 11, 2013
    Montreal, CA
    10 months ago, I saw a Peavey Cirrus 5 BXP for cheap in craiglist and gave it a try. I immediately fell in love with the sound and growl this bass had. Very full sound, growly mids and lots of harmonics. But the bass had a couple of flaws...it had very rough time and the neck was not totally straight, so action was difficult to adjust. It's what they call a Darkwood I think and it weights a ton and a half.

I decided to go a step higher and buy a US model. Here in Canada they're really hard to find, so I had to buy over internet. I found a very nice Walnut/Wenge top in good condition. The bass plays very well, incredible action...a very well made bass. But a slight disappointment on sound. Pickups seems nowhere near as hot as the ones on the BXP. Lot less highs and high mids. Yes it sounds like a Cirrus, but not as growly as the BXP. I was expecting the opposite...

In conversations I had with different Cirrus owners, one said that at some point Peavey changed the pickups and that the new ones were really hotter and brighter. Anyone is aware of this ?

Thanks !

2. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Cant answer your question, but just wanted to say I love my BXP 5, it is lightweight (4kg), ergonomy is great, neck is perfect and intonates all the way to the 24-th fret (except B string, it looses intonation somewhere between 12-th and 24-th, but I think this is normal for non-fanned bass). Action is very good, but not perfect, neck stability also very good (but not p)... Interesting thing, I don't love tone as much as you do, but I do compare it with mega-growly Warwick, and that is very high standard.

If you liked your BXP that much, why don't you just get another one?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.