Peavey Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IbanezATK, Apr 27, 2009.

1. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Is there ANY reason why I shouldn't gas for one of these?

I can't find one locally to play... :bawl:
  2. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

They play "different" than fender style basses. They feel real long to me. I play Peavey Millennium basses USA models. Both are 35" scale basses, but I can not play the Cirrus very well after playing the Millenniums. The position of the strap buttons, pickups, and body shape push the first fret on the Cirrus' almost 2 inches farther away. It really throws me off. I love them dearly, and have owned a zillion of them. But the design just isn't right for me. You can hold them up to another bass, line up the strap button on the upper horn, and you'll see how stretched it is.

Aside from that, at nearly $2K new (5 stringers), they are in the high range of what I feel comfortable with. Used, at 1/2 that price, is better for me. Also, they are stock with no solid finishes. You have to like the clear natural wood colors that are offered. You also have to like Gold hardware, as that's your only choice.

Those are a few reasons why you might not like them. I'd buy a used one here or on ebay, try it out, then re-sell if it doesn't "fit" you right. Or, buy from MF and try one out for a few weeks and return it if it's not a keeper.
  3. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Yeah used is what I'm looking at... and I did wonder about the way the bass hung and the 35" scale on a 4 string bass.

I'm kinda stalled out... out of money :(

I have a project J and a project P, and hopefully a Spector coming after that.

I may take a road trip and play one just to see though :)
  4. synterx

I went all Cirrus for a few years. The build quality and mojo of them is fantastic. I love them. I just can't get used to the long reach to the first frets. You could get used to it if you gave it enough time. But the Cirrus is IMO a must try before committing kind of bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bottomzone

bottomzone

I won my Cirrus on ebay a few years ago. Because I couldn't find one to try out locally, I took a leap of faith-AND AM SO GLAD I DID!!!!! Until I was blessed to get a Ken Smith, my Cirrus was the best bass that I had ever played or owned. When I heard and saw this clip, I knew that I had to have one:

I sold an Alembic Spoiler and a Warwick Thumb 5 BO to pay for my Smith. My Cirrus is still in the mix!!!!!!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:
  7. Soundchaser11460

Soundchaser11460 Supporting Member

IbanezAtk, I could give you a hundred reasons for getting one,but none I am afraid not to. With space permitting I will give you a few.First of all the build quality and playability are fantastic.You can get any sound you need out of them.Even though they are 35 in. scale I personally never had a problem with that slight bit of difference compared to my 34 in. scale Fender.Unless you have arms like a T-Rex that is.Lastly they still to this day remain stupidly cheap used.If you need more details you can pm me and I'll fill you in more.Hope this helps you. Joe
  8. synterx

He wants reasons to NOT get one. I could easily give him a dozen why he should.
  9. millsbass5

millsbass5

I rank Peavey right up there w/Carvin in terms of being an "Underdog Bass".TOO MANY DAMN PEOPLE ARE WORRIED ABOUT WHAT THEIR AXE SAYS ON THE H/STOCK.**** that,I'd rather have a bass that's kickass for the money than"status symbol"BASS.Call me cheap(But I'd prefer smart),but my money is going to buying rental property
    for now.The ultra-exotics will comedown the road.
  10. Ronbo61

Ronbo61

I've had my Cirrus 5-string for nearly 10 years and still absolutely love it!!! :hyper: Sorry, I can't think of any reasons not to get it. :cool:
  11. Mendry37

Mendry37

Ive had my bubinga 4 string for 11 years now. Nothing bad to say here. I'd say just go for it. Great live sound and good feel. Well i guess i have had only one problem. Playing those outside gigs on a hot moist day the neck gets a bit sticky.
    Chad
  12. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

Reasons not to buy one .... let`s see
    Rubber knobs, 35" scale, sound a bit compressed.
    Apart from that, nothing relevant.
  13. spade2you

spade2you

A bubinga Cirrus 4 was my first bass about 9 years ago. Now I have 5 Cirri and 1 Millennium. Sometimes it's well worth giving into temptation.

Even in the boutique world, there aren't many basses that play as well as a Cirrus. Typically, you'll need to triple the price of a Cirrus to get that.

The ergonomics are pretty well thought out. The long top horn makes the bass very balanced and makes the first position reach not so bad, although good technique is necessary. A lot of guys who want to wear it like a bow tie will not be happy with the reach.

They record well and have nice tonal flexibility, especially if you upgrade to the sweepable mids.
  14. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

You guys are KILLING me! I want one!
  15. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I love P basses but I wouldn't trade My Cirrus 5 for anything!

The 35" scale never bothered me at all.... but I'm 6' 2" & have long arms.

I like the knobs:D
  16. synterx

It's not the 35" scale that bothers me. It's where the basses sit when strapped on. The first feet is pushed farther away than my other 35" basses.
  17. anomalybass

anomalybass

ive had my flame maple cirrus 5 for about 6 years now and i cant give you a single reason not to buy one. the only thing i would say is play it first. the tones do sound a little compressed, but thats the tone i like. real solid growl in the low end and one of the smoothest, thinnest necks ive played. add the ultra low action and absolutely zero fretbuzz and i cant find anything wrong with it. also the tones are relative to the wood option you choose. my flamed maple cirrus def sounds different than a walnut 4 i played a while back. i would play alot of them before you buy. -joep
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    The only reasons that I can give you to NOT buy a Cirrus are:

1. If you like a passive, vintage, Fender-y tone, the Cirrus is not for you. I can get a little in that territory with mine, but when I need that vibe, it is just easier to grab a passive P or J.

2. If you are considering a six string, the high C on these sounds pretty thin. This is characteristic of a lot of 35" sixers, but the Cirrus is one of the worst offenders, among sixers over $1500.
  19. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I'm with Synterx here. The build quality of the Cirrus is excellent, and I'm a Peavey fan and have owned a few, but I've never owned a Cirrus, because I couldn't get comfortable with the "reach". This might not be a problem for many people, but it is for me.

I believe the bolt-on neck USA models are 34" scale, and maybe their design is different. I don't know. I've always wanted to try one, but I've never been able to find one that I could handle in person.
  20. spade2you

spade2you

Have you tried other strings? I personally felt that the .045G was a bit too tight for my tastes and ditched the Cirrus strings from the start, although I seem to have found a soft spot for them on my fretless 5. I have yet to play a Cirrus 6 and would consider buying one if I could see how I liked the feel, but I see where you're coming from. The C on my Conklin is a bit thin, but my Rob Allen 6er is plenty meaty.
  21. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Few observations:

*%@!& truss rod cover screws are directly below the E, A, and D strings.

*I'm a little rough on the oil / wax finishes. I prefer the gloss poly or whatever they use.

*ABM saddles....4 hex screws per assembly.

*Replacement nuts are ~$10 and come roughly pre-cut.

*Insanely low, comfortable action.

*I've never seen a used one in pristine / mint condition 'cuz people actually play the durn things!

Riis