Peavey Combo 115 1990's buzz

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Way1994, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Way1994

Way1994

My old Peavey Combo 115 sounds like a fuzz bass. I have taken the amplifier and speaker out for inspection, 15" Black Widow, and all looks fine. I have by-passed the pre-amp section and used a Line 6 pod as a pre-amp and it still buzzez like a fuzz bass. I have tried it with both of my basses with the same results.

I am new to bass, 6 months, and this is my first bass. I paid $250 for it. Should I find a tech to look at it, use the cab with another ampilfier or ditch the whole thing? If I ditch it what is your recommendation. I play blues and jazz.

Thanks
    Reid

2. 4-stringB

4-stringB

I've experienced a failure of the black foam Peavey put in the back of the voice coil assembly. The foam disintegrated into a black goo, and gummed up the voice coil. Alcohol will cut the goop, once you have removed the magnet assy, then clean the voice coil gap in the magnet, and then the coil itself. That took care of my buzzing/crackling problem...

3. Way1994

Way1994

I do now believe the issue is with the speaker. I have a small 10" amp that I started to use when the Peavey had an issue and I noticed the same buzz. No, not by practice amp too? Then I decided to move the Peavey to the other side of the room, no more buzz. So the Peavey was buzzing from the soundwaves generated from the little amp. I will take the speaker apart and inspect the coil gap.

Thanks