Peavey Firebass?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Reemo_bassist, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Reemo_bassist

Reemo_bassist

I have a 2002 Peavey Firebass...searching this site has brought up very little on it :(. I'm beginning to feel shut out here. I've spent the last week around an Avalon 737sp preamp...dayum if I don't get a valve-driven pre and run it into the Peavey's power amp input :D.

Are the heads any good? I mean come on, 4000000000000000 posts and jsut six threads, none of which are to do wit this head?
  2. bassmangreg

bassmangreg

I like them and I think Peavey make some other decent gear. I use my Firebass with a Peavey 410 TVX bottom for a keyboard amp. It weighs a bunch but the side handle make it easier to carry. I kept blowing speakers playing my bass through it for some reason.

BTW, that speaker cabinet fell down the steps one day and busted through the wall and the trim at the bottom of my steps in the basement but didn't even put a dent in the speaker.
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

There are a fair few threads on this head im sure, i like it, and they are reliable as hell, built like tanks!

[​IMG]

:D
  4. LarryO

LarryO

Firebass amps are very versitle and have power to spare. I use a nitrobass. It's the same amp only it puts out 450 watts instead of 700. You can get good tone from the amp. The type of cab you use will of course effect your tone. I use 2 1x15 black widows and love it. I really think the ONLY bad thing about this amp is it's weight. Tons of features, good tone, very reliable, great customer service. It's a good amp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oc-bass

oc-bass

I have one, I love it. I use a GK 410 with it and have absolutely no problem being heard.
  7. Reemo_bassist

Reemo_bassist

:oops: i_got_a_mohawk....god this is scary.

I've got a BTB 5, Firebass, am building a 2x15" and buying a Warwick 4x10. yikes. lol. They seem a polite amp, not all over the place but nice and reliable and powerful to boot
  8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Pfft, they arent heavy, im gonna use the firebass when i get tired of lifting my SVT!

Sounds like it'll sound good ;)
  9. Reemo_bassist

Reemo_bassist

I hope! The Warwicks are lovely cabs, and not walletbreaking either. Fane says the 15"s handle 300w RMS so....it looks good for a 4ohm setup :D
  10. BassDerek

BassDerek

I have the max700 (updated version), and I can get some good tones, but since its 700 watts at 2 ohms and im only using a 4 ohm load, im not getting as much headroom as i need. Its kinda misleading at 700 watts, since other amps that do 5or600 watts at 4 ohms are pushing more power. The thing is built like a rock, although I blew something on it once, but it was all covered in the warranty.
  11. Reemo_bassist

Reemo_bassist

hehe. I've given mine some abuse over the years, still pounds away. WOuld like to hear it coupled with the Ibanez' warmness and the Warwick :D
  12. teej

teej

I LOVE THE FIREBASS!

The thing may weigh 55 pounds, but it's built like a tank and crazy loud! And the price?!?!!? You can score a used one for around $300. You can't get a better head with that many features for that price. It was my first head - had it for 3 years before getting something lighter. Would I buy one again? DEFINITELY.
  13. Peter McFerrin

Peter McFerrin

I recall that dancehallclasher was using a Firebass with a couple of Bag End compact 1x15s and getting awesome results. You might want to PM him.
  14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It has a different faceplate, thats about it

I wouldnt say its misleading at all, why would they label it as a 475 watt amp when it does 700? Alot of people do use two 4ohm cabs, me for one
  15. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

I too have the MAX 700. Overall I am happy with it - its built to withstand grenades, its very versatile and puts out some clean SS tone. The weight is my biggest issue and I did have some clipping issues at 1st. This is my first head and I think I made a good choice.

[​IMG]
  16. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    In general and for many decades, the bang-for-buck performance and reliability for Peavey heads is great. And a lot of their designs are actually good tone monsters if you RTM and understand how things work.
  17. nt40lanman

nt40lanman

I'm pretty happy with my Firebass. I could use a little more headroom but I think it's my crappy speaker cabs. I think something like a 410 XLT or HLF would help a lot.
  18. Vorak

Vorak

The singer in my band plays bass in another band and he has a Firebass (700 I believe) and a Peavey 8x10 stack. Its really, really loud but the tone is pretty muddy IMO. Not to knock Peavey but I much prefer my Ampeg setup (B2R and 410HLF).

I should give the Firebass a try running through my HLF. Has anybody tried that combination before?
  19. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

i haven't tried the firebass through the svt410hlf.... BUT i do have the nitrobass (which is very similar) and the BSE410hlf (which is also very similar) and those two sound great together!
  20. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Most iof the time if something is sounding muddy it's because of cab, cab placement, technique, or EQ choices. Very seldom is it the head itself.
  21. Vorak

Vorak

Yeah my guess is it was the EQ settings he was using. Like I said, I'd like to try it through my cab sometime and mess with the EQ on the amp to see how that sounds.

The image attached is him playing in his other band. You can see the Peavey in the background.

Attached Files: