1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey Foundation Advice Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shawn Luckman, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Shawn Luckman

Shawn Luckman

I have found an early '90's Peavey Foundation bass for sale, for a small amount & the bass looks in good condition. I remember these back in the 80's as being a good bass, are the 90's ones still as good it has the Super Ferrite pickups.
    I have always had a soft spot for Peavey as my first decent bass was a T-40, and the Foundation does look nice.
  2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I have this era of foundation, and i really like mine. Seems like pretty darn good quality. It might not fetch quite as much as an original 80s, but i wouldn't expect them to sound much different.
  3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Incredible basses, especially when you consider how little they go for. Most prefer the Super Ferrites to the later model VFL pickups, so if the one you're considering has SF's, you can't lose. Outside of a few styling differences, an early 90's Foundation is exactly the same as an 80's Foundation.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I bought one of these from a TBer a few months back and actually just sold it back to him for the same price, so effectively I borrowed it for a few months. It has a great, slim, jazz-taper neck and a lot of good flexibility and tone in the pickups. Great bass for the money, or indeed for any money. I only sold it back because I mostly play 5-stringers, and after I got a new Carvin it was just redundant to have another 4-string around. The only, slight, drawback I found in it was the balance - it doesn't neck dive badly, but left to itself it hung just about parallel to the ground. I prefer when a bass hangs at a 30-45 degree angle by itself, but that's me. Didn't stop me from enjoying playing it.
  5. Shawn Luckman

Shawn Luckman

Thank you Gentlemen I remember seeing one in white in the late 80's, & I liked the look of them then with that pointed headstock. I'm going to get this bass I couldn't get a new Squire Affinity bass, for what this one is going to cost.:)
  6. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

Buy it. I've always been sorry I let mine go.
  7. Shawn Luckman

Shawn Luckman

I'm going to I've thought about it during the today at work, & spoke to the wife and I have her blessing.
  8. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sent you a PM
  9. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Supporting Member

If anyone would be interested,I have a 1987 Peavey Dyna Bass,with gold hardware,candy apple with mild flake. I consider them a souped up Foundation,with built in pre-amp. Make me an offer.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Staccato

Staccato Supporting Member

My G.A.S. led me to a Dyna Bass with the SF pickups. It's the one bass that I can't imagine ever selling.

There's so many very good Foundation examples lying around, you should get the one you want, and play less $$ for one with any obvious wear & tear on the body, neck, or fret wires.
  11. jam -1

jam -1

You wont be sorry that you bought it I had one I wish I would have kept it the paint job was bad on mine so for my birthday the guys in the band is a body man so he took and striped down and painted it harley white man did it look awsome when he was done with it I should takeing pictures the sad thing about them when you go to sell them the dnt hold there value they are awsome basses but where I live they kind of frown on Peavey dnt know why

take care and good luck
    Jeff:bassist:
  12. Major Softie

Major Softie

I have both Super Ferrite Foundations and the 90's pickups. The SF's have a more classic sound, but the later ones have a great tone too - probably more versatile but less old school.

No losers either way.
  13. Shawn Luckman

Shawn Luckman

There is just something about Peavey basses I love, & I'll be keeping this one.Like I said a USA made bass for less than a Squier Affinity :smug:. Of all Peavey basses my favorite is always the original Sarzo bass.
  14. Major Softie

Major Softie

I've never played one, but they just look so HOT.
  15. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

thanks for posting this. i've owned peaveys with an SF and the passive VFL-style but not quite VFLs (what the heck are these things, anyway?), but not at the same time. i would describe the SFs as more 'snarly' and the passive non-VFLs as "clear, more bell-like". any other opinions on this?
  16. Shawn Luckman

Shawn Luckman

I have been reading on here loads of good things about the Foundation basses and the SFpickups, looking forward to hearing it for myself.
  17. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

The earlier Foundations were made with better stuff, but the later were also pretty darn good. I'd think buying a used one for around $250 is a better idea than buying something new made overseas for around the same amount of cash. The Foundation is about the only pro level bass I can think of that sells for such a low amount.
  18. mgb71

mgb71 Supporting Member

I bought a 1994 Foundation on Ebay a couple of months ago for $62. It was in pretty rough shape so I stripped the paint off and refinished with clear lacquer, replaced the pots, and made a new bone nut. It's a pretty sweet bass now for what I've got into it and it sounds nice. It seems like these are a good buy for the right price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Shawn Luckman

Shawn Luckman

20. Shawn Luckman

Shawn Luckman