1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey Foundation Bass - need diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Louie7, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Louie7

Louie7

Hi ~ recently acquired a 1993 Peavey Foundation bass with the super-ferrite pickups.

Problem is... somebody tore out the original wiring harness and did a really poor poor job rewiring the whole thing incorrectly.

I'd like to start over with the correct circuit. The Peavey literature stated that if both independent vol. pots are opened fully, then they combine effectively create one humbucking circuit... for quiet operation.

This sounds interesting.

DOES Anyone HAVE a Circuit Diagram, a Picture of the control cavity, OR a Peavey Foundation Bass Schematic they could either email me or post here ?

Thanks a bunch.....:)

L7
  2. JTE

JTE

They're wired just like a typical Fender Jazz Bass. The hum cancelling is due to the pickups being made with reverese polarity and reverse wrapping of the coils. So, all the wiring diagrams that show a standard V/V/T wiring will work.

jte
  3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Peavey has good customer service.

OR if you still need a pix.. I have a few foundations - PM me.
  4. Steve Bennett

Steve Bennett

There's a couple of extra components as compared to a Fender Jazz. I've attached a schematic, and I can take a photo of my Foundation if you need it.

Attached Files:

5. JTE

JTE

OK, I'd forgotten about the treble-bleed caps on the volume pots.

jte
  6. Louie7

Louie7

WOW !

thanks everyone..!

btw... I DID email Peavey, but never got a response. Phoned them too, but only got the endless automated boogie. :)

Thanks again, everyone... gotta go to werk now.... will respond later as to outcome.

L7
  7. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

By the way, if you like more treble roll-off, I suggest upping the .02 tone cap to a .82 to .1. It will allow far more treble cut than the stock.

Also, if you go to the peavey website, they have a Peavey Bass forum, and the moderator is very good at answering tech questions.
  8. lenlen

lenlen

Enjoy the new Peavey. I have one of these, and all I can say is wow. Scored mine for $40 at the local music shop. They were blowing out all the used gear. Funny thing is it looked new! Good luck.
  9. Louie7

Louie7

Thanks everyone.

I have another question.....

Getting ready to order parts; The schematic specifies 250K audio taper pots for the two volume controls, but the tone pot just says 250K S.

I'm not sure what S. means..... anyone know ? Would this be an audio or linear pot for tone ?

I'll hold off my order until I resolve this somehow.

Regards, and thanks

L7
  10. Louie7

Louie7

ok... got some pics.... just wanted you to see what I'm up against. *heh* WHAT a mess. And that's AFTER I tiddied up some...

L7

Attached Files:

11. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Ok, So it looks scary, but how does it sound?
  12. Louie7

Louie7

yeah, well, it sounds GREAT, of course. Elsewise I wouldn't have layed out the dough, ray, mee. *hehe* Acoustically it sounds beautiful.

The issue I'm dealing with is not tone. It's control.
    The circuit doesn't DO what it's supposed to do.

The way this thing was wired, you had to turn the volume pots anti-clockwise to increase the volume and turn them clockwise to decrease the volume. Exactly the opposite of normal....and same for the tone pot too.

What's more, whoever did this handy work failed to notice that the pickups have 3 wires to connect and only connected two, leaving the black wire on the neck taped up, unconnected to anything.

The result was an unbalanced circuit with a very lop-sided relationship between the pups. To get a proper sound, you had to turn one pot down about one quarter. With both vol. pots wide open, the signal faded and the tone went in the crapper.

Did I mention that not one pot matched. No consecutive date codes. (I still don't REALLY know what year this instrument was made... guessing 1993). One pot was the wrong value at 500K and the neck pup vol pot was a WD branded cheapo that wouldn't even give a proper reading.

I have both pickups and all the circuitry removed now. I had to do surgery on the neck pickup because the previous owner clipped the leads off too short to reach the pot. That's what all that cheap hookup wire is about. No stranded wire. No shielding. No dress. Just gobs and gobs of solid copper hookup wire... topped off with a cheap Asian jack (which I tossed immediatly) :)

Please note the wonderful BURN marks around the edge of the cavity. I'm thinkin' this genius probably was using an old wood-burning kit for a soldering iron and I can't even find adjectives for the sub-quality of the stuff posing as solder. :cool: See the orange shrink tube ? I did that just to make the bass playable... those connections were just twisted together. (don't wanna use up too much of that grade Z solder).

[​IMG]

IN OTHER NEWS: I finally found out about the 250K-S tone pot. Evidently Peavey was fond of a circuit called 'Rotary Splitter' for the tone pot.

I incorrectly assumed that this was a special pot with an unusual taper or something to that effect.... but NO... it's just a normal garden variety 250K audio taper pot with an unusual way of wiring it up.

Sooooooooo..... I'm ordering 3 brand new CTS 250K-A pots and a handful of tone caps, first thing Monday morning.

I'm more confident now, about this project.

Here's a picture of the bass before I yanked the pups. It's no thing of beauty.... Yet. :smug:
    [​IMG]
  13. steviegaga

steviegaga

In response to Louie7's thread, I have been following it with intrest as I picked up o real beat up version of the same model (re pickups) you have (except maple vs. rosewood fingerboard.) Since I only paid $20 I decided to have some fun and pull the frets a la Jaco and ended up with one of the most comfortable & playable fretless basses ever. The problem is with pickups and wiring. Neck pickup pot is non responsive so the schematic was helpful. I have the same pickups (vs. JBass style) and from what I'm reading, I would be advised to fix it as is rather than look for an active upgrade. Thank you for all the info.
  14. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

Following this...my son picked up a Foundation with a non-functional neck pickup. We're hoping it's just the volume pot; Peavey has informed us that super-Ferrites are no longer available (bass is an '89)
  15. Louie7

Louie7

well.... a band whose bassist was ill called me yesterday to fill in on bass last night.

I grabbed the Peavey. It worked great ! Sounded amazing ~!

Nobody swooned, but the guys in the band said it sounded warm and rich.

That's good enuf for me. I had the treble rolled off most of the night...and I don't think they really cared anyway.

*LOL*