Peavey Foundation database

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jgsbass, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jgsbass

jgsbass

Ok. Those of you who have one know its a great instrument. But those Fender guys can tell you which screws went with which yearsand we have... not a lot of info. So lets try and piece together some of the differences between the different Foundations. Like: "made in USA", "Crafted in USA", and "Handcrafted in USA".
    Large bridge barrels vs regular sized barrels
    5 screw vs 4 screw back control plates
    etc

2. BOOCAKE4U

BOOCAKE4U

there are two versions worth having (three if you count the dyna-bass)

1. original version - super ferrite pickups, pointy headstock, asymmetrical bridge
    2. second version - super ferrite pickups, more rounded headstock, rectangular bridge

3. old dyna-bass, more or less the same as above but with some kind of roller bridge and a preamp with active/passive switch and EQ (obviously)

i know there are more specifics with knobs and logos and whatnot, but i don't remember them offhand...a lot of it is covered in the old peavey appreciation thread

3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

This should be a fun thread, thanks for thinking of it.

Here's a pic of the early version headstock....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Subsequent version (still 80's) looks the same at a glance, but is a bit smaller proportionally. Obvious differences are the decal and "Handcrafted in USA".

[​IMG]

4. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Great thread!

Ok, by serial numbers both of mine are 1992s. Both have the super ferrite pups, 3 knobs, rectangular bridge and more rounded headstock. But both of mine have the open backed tuners like yours Templar.

The neck plates, nuts, TRCs, back plates are black on both of mine. The 4 string has a black oval shape jack frame and the 5 string has a tight black ring around it instead. Knobs, bridges, machine heads, strap buttons and the bar string trees are chrome on my two. But, the springs on the bridge to my 5er are black and not chrome like the 4.

Both of mine have the blocky logo and on the front of each headstock is simple says 'Peavey Foundation'

On the back of my 4 string underneath the serial # is says:

U.S. Patent No. XXXXXXX Handcrafted in the U.S.A.

The back of my 5 string simply says U.S. Patent No. XXXX and its the same number.

Hope this helps some.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Don't forget the Foundation S with p/j pickups. That was an awesome bass, just too plain for me.

7. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

*bumb* Lets keep this info exchange going on these great basses!!!

8. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I'm not sure there's a USA Peavey that's not "worth having" but the Foundation S is a great bass. It'll hold its own against just about anything ever made with four strings.

Info on mine soon. I'll put it in this post.

9. Would'e?

Would'e?

My black Foundation four is a '93 and has exactly the same specs as Starscream's '92. 1992 incidentally was the year that they switched from poplar to alder for the bodies.

[​IMG]

10. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

ooo you have a black one :p I am not that well versed on all the types of wood but I know both of my 92s are pretty light. They are my lightest basses actually. Funny after hefting around the T40 or the VMJ and then I grab one of my Foudnations, I will almost put into the ceiling sometimes. LOL

11. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Can someone tell me the bridge spacing of the earlier foundations. I have a 79 T-40 and find it a little tight for me. Would love to get an old USA Peavey with 19mm spacing but have no idea if something like that was made.

12. Templar

What does your T-40 measure?

My Foundations are 19mm.

There might be a T-40 thread with that info.

13. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

I have no idea the bridge spacing for the earlier Foundations. If you are talking about string spacing on the fretboard??, I know that if a T40 neck is too tight for you, a Foundation will be tighter and by my feel, a Dyna is even tighter then a Foundation.

14. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I have no idea what year my Foundation 5 is, but it has the more rounded headstock and the new style pickups. It is a killer bass, best that I have owned and that is saying a lot because I used to play an Fbass.

lowsound

15. Templar

Dating your Foundation?

Has anyone found a date stamped or written anywhere on their Foundation?

I've looked inside every nook....nada. If they're unmarked (as mine are), that leaves us with serial numbers and features, right?

I suspect the serial #'s on these badboys may be kinda unreliable.
    :eyebrow:

16. Templar

Foundation knobs....

The earliest Foundations seem to have the uber-cool cast metal "P" knobs.

[​IMG]

Peavey went to these speed knobs next, with grippy rubber bands on them. Maybe they decided the swank metal knobs were too pricey for the lowly Foundation?

[​IMG]

17. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

My hands are causing mental illusions :meh:
    I have a frankenbass which is using a Geddy Lee Body and it is 19mm. The T-40 always felt tighter and I had never measured it. I just went to measure it and it is also 19mm. I need to spend some time playing both tonite!! I have a precision neck on the Geddy but that should not effect how my right hand feels.

18. StoBro

StoBro

The change in knob styles coincided with a change from solid shaft to split knurled shaft pots. Peavey probably saved a few pennies on both. And the die used to make the die-cast zinc (I forget which Zamak alloy they used- 2, 3, 5, 7?) knobs was wearing out anyway.

19. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

The knobs on my both of my foundations are chrome, smooth on top and grooved on the sides. They look almost exactly like the ones that came on my VMJ.

20. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Peavey keeps very complete records by serial number. When I emailed them with my serial number, they told me the date of manufacture, the original color, and the wood used for the body..

21. Templar

That's good news, at least there's a way to source the info. Got a link?

Oddly, I came across a Patriot with a ser# lower than my oldest Foundation. I know the Patriots were introduced well after the Foundation (86-87?).