Peavey Foundation/Fender JP-90

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptMoustache, Mar 4, 2014.

1. CaptMoustache

CaptMoustache

Hi,

Which one do you think is best?
    They're both US made with a slim jazz neck.
    I have the opportunity to get a jp-90 for $325 or a foundation for $220(+tax/shipping).
    Or should I just wait for an opportunity on a precision lyte ... ?

Thanks.
  2. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Both are good quality basses. Watch the neck on the jp-90. Some of the early 22 fret Fender necks had stability issues. The Foundation is an average buy at $220. They frequently can be found in the $150-to $190 range, though if it is an eighties model with superferrite pickups it may run higher.
  3. ejaggers

ejaggers

A foundation, jp-90, and precision are 3 different animals. It's harder to give advice unless you're comparing apples to apples. But out of the 3, I'd do the foundation with SF pups.

4. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

FWIW The precision Lyte and JP-90 are VERY comparable (ie NOT different animals). The Foundation is certainly different than the other 2, but IMO is the one to go with. The price/value ratio on a Foundation is ridiculous. US made with pro-level components at nearly free prices. The last Foundation I picked up, I paid $75 for... gave it to a friend's daughter and she LOVES it.

I have had both a P-Lyte and JP-90 and loved them both... but I have always loved having a thin-necked P with a bridge J pickup (also had a Reggie Hamilton and a P-Bass Special).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I've owned both. The Fender felt, sounded..and played better. Looked better, too.

The Peavey was a good bass, but kinda bonked out down low, and lost clarity in the upper registers. It went out of tune faster than the Fender. One positive feature on the Peavey...it could sound a little softer than the Fender JP90.

I owned both at the same time.

The JP90 says it's U.S. made, but it really wasn't. It had MIM/Asian hardware, MIM Standard ceramic pickups, and the MIM poplar body wood was painted in Mexico. It was probably assembled in the U.S., and that's about it. I loved the one I had. Ended up giving it to my brother.

What to watch out for...most of the JP90's I've seen have bowed up beyond repair. If the one you've found is playable, three twenty five is a great deal that I wouldn't pass up.
  7. ejaggers

ejaggers

I could be wrong but, isn't the precision Lyte active while the jp-90 passive? If this is true it's still not comparing apples to apples IMO.
  8. The Thinker

The Thinker

I've played several JP-90s and thought they were very good. However, I much prefer the Foundation. The ones with the Super Ferrite pickups are a ridiculous bargain right now. Like someone said, you can get them for a lot less than $220.

I owned a Foundation and regret selling it. The sound was like a thicker jazz bass with excellent clarity. The slap tone was amazing--it retained bottom when slapped better than a jazz bass. Honestly, I've owned much more expensive basses that did not sound as good as the Foundation.
  9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I recently played a Foundation I thought better than any Sadowsky I've owned.
  10. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I'm looking to buy another Foundation like my 1985 Foundation so I can have one with flatwounds.

Really like the quality hardware and pickups and the neck is very solid too.
  11. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie Supporting Member

I own a Fender JP 90 and it is one of the best basses that I have owned.there is no respect here on TB for them as they are not a traditional P or J. It was made in the Fender Carona plant . Mine has USA made pickups , pots ,tuners ,bridge ,neck, body . Made in 1990 and the neck is just fine. I would take the tone of this Fender Bass over the Peavey Jazz bass any day. I gigged with this bass for the last 3 years and have had nothing but compliments on the tone. She does have a Tulip wood (poplar) body, which means light. Have been playing 4 hour gigs and so much easier on the shoulder and back. I'm not a big Jazz fan more of a P bass fan but ,that would be my choice ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394203303.776876.jpg