1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey Foundation S bass / complete rewire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Uncle Freddy, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

hello again guys ....did a complete rewire on a Peavey Foundation S bass and I am having a problem: zero output ?? EVERYTHING you see in the pic is brand new: all pots, all wiring, all caps, jack socket, etc ....the only thing that is stock are the pick-ups & their wiring and the bridge ground wire ......I used the Peavey wiring diagram shown in the 2nd pic and to my eyes, it is a direct match to what you see in the electronics cavity ....when I plug the bass in, I get the standard hum from both pick-ups, and said hum decreases to zero via use of each of the volume pots and I get bright tone hum when the tone is cranked and muddy tone hum when the tone is tapered all the way off ...so there IS signal of some sort moving thru but when I plug the bass into a tuner: zero registered output and when I plug the bass into my amp: zero registered sound .....??? ...very puzzled here and any assist you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated ....as they say, 2 sets of eyes are better than 1 !! also, I decided to pull the brand new jack socket I installed, as that "might" be bad internally so I'll install a 2nd brand new one to see if that fixes the problem ......bottom line: in looking at the job I did in the cavity, did I do this right ?? did I match the factory wiring diagram ?? also: the pick-ups in this Foundation have brown/green/yellow/white wires, and the white & yellow were clipped and taped off when I got the guitar, with the brown wires utilized as the HOTS and the green wires utilized as the GROUNDS ......I mention this 'cuz the diagram talks different color wires, and my stock pick-ups do not have the colors the diagram talks ......standing by for your thoughts & advise, thanks again guys .....http://s837.photobucket.com/user/HyMo3/slideshow/Foundation S Bass

2. mech

mech

It sounds like your controls are working but the pickups aren't. From what I found on the net, the wire color sounds like Shaller humbuckers which is what I think your Foundation came with. One coil of each should be White+/Green- and the other Yellow+/Brown-.

Brown/White is series connection to make a series humbucker and then Yellow is hot and Green ground.

mech

3. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

thanks Mech .....oddly, the guitar was wired with the yellow & whites taped off, the greens as grounds and the browns as hots when I got it but you are saying that is incorrect usage of the wires or not in series humbucking ......if there is any way you can forward or send me the stuff you found on-line about these pick-ups and their wiring colors, I'd appreciate that .....what I'd really like to see is a shot of a Foundation's cavity that has factory wiring so I can see exactly how things were wired from the Peavey factory .....CAN ANYONE SHOOT & SEND ME THAT PHOTO ?? ...thanks (so tape off the brown & white together ?? as in actually connect them ?? or just tape them off separately ??......then I use the yellow for my hot, use the green for my ground)

4. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

After looking at your picture, it appears to me that your are using a diagram from a left-handed foundation to wire a right handed bass. It is a truly confusing diagram anyway. What it looks like is that you have connected the hot line from the neck pickup to the wrong side of the pot. It should be on middle terminal . I think right now the hot is being run directly to ground.

If you continue to have trouble try wiring it using a jazz bass diagram. The difference between the two would be negligible, and clear fender diagrams are easy to find on the web.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mech

mech

7. mech

mech

With the exception of the high pass caps on the vol pots, it is the same.

mech

8. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

thanks guys, found a ton of the Jazz bass wiring diagrams on the web, as bassmanrocke says I would .....guess the issue now is what are my hot wires, what are my ground wires and what gets taped off & not used with my brown / yellow / green / white wires for each pick-up ...I will look at the Schaller info mech provided .......as I said, when this bass played loudly when I got it, and it was wired as follows: browns were hots, greens were grounds and the yellows & whites were clipped & taped off ....

9. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Regardless of whether they are related to your problem, I would be suspicious of some of your solder joints. Just sayin'. I would test continuity. Actually, I'd just redo them.

10. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

all solder joints check good, no cold joints ....continuity beeping proper thru entire rewire ...for all hot paths and for all ground paths .....my issue is simple: cannot definitively nail down what wires are what for the pick-ups .......brown/green/white/yellow .....I want to get the guitar set-up as series humbucking (which it clearly was not when I got it) ....what gets soldered in as the HOT and as the GROUND?? what gets twisted together ?? what gets taped off bare & not used ?? ...thanks again guys ....

11. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

I may be mistaken, but the problem may be the"not used" wires. From my memory this is the connection between the two halves of the P-pickup. Because schaller gave the option of going parallel or in series these wires were left long. If they were to be used in series(like a standard precision) they should have a solid connection between them. When you got it they were most likely twisted together making the connection then taped. If you didn't make a solid connection between the 2 there is not a complete circuit through the pickups.

12. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

this makes sense now, thanks bassmanrocke .....my yellow & white wires are "not" connected, they are just clipped off with heat shrink on their ends and they must've been connected when I tore everything out of the cavity .....

13. mech

mech

Read my post #2. It gives the wiring.

mech

14. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

to bassmanrocke: optical illusion on that hot lead for the neck pick-up, it "is" soldered to the middle lug on the neck volume pot, it just looks like it's soldered to the ground lug ...I will connect both pairs of yellow & whites tonight and should be good to go ...thanks for all the help guys !!!