1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey Foundation S / complete rewire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Uncle Freddy, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

hello everyone, going thru a Peavey Foundation S (passive) bass on my bench at the moment …..see attached photo …..this is a 2 volume / 1 tone set-up but I'm confused as to the use / placement of the caps & resistors ….the soldering & level of detail by whoever did this wiring is a solid 3 on the 10 scale, as cold solders and frayed wires were present ….as I do not have immense bass wiring knowledge, can someone please explain the configuration of the caps / resistors ??….all 3 are different but read to be .02 in value ?? …..or .02 for the ones on the volume pots and ?? for the one on the tone pot ?? any help in identifying what is going on here and what is or is not stock as per factory wiring would be very helpful (I want to replace everything) …..I am just confused on the caps & resistors, so I am just showing a pic of those with the old pots …..thanks for the assist guys …..[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Major Softie

Major Softie

There is no attached photo.

Edit: nvm, there is now.

3. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

there is now ….my apologies

4. Major Softie

Major Softie

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Those capacitors are supposed to be treble bleeds. They make it so you don't lose high end when you roll off the volume for the pickups.

Looks to me like someone replaced a pot and soldered a new capacitor (the green one). Unfortunately, it's soldered in as if it would be a tone control. It might be the wrong value for a treble bleed, as well.

PDF Schematic from the other thread. C4 and C3 are the treble bleeds.

EDIT: on closer inspection, it looks like the green capacitor is doing absolutely nothing.

7. Major Softie

Major Softie

Yeah, it's hard to tell if it goes from the back to the contact on the pot, or from the back to . . . the back.

8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Doesn't matter if it goes back to that lug or not. That lug soldered to the case. Both sides of the cap are going to ground.

9. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

Stone Soup is correct, that green cap on far left goes from case to case(or back to back), and correct: case is ground so both sides of that cap are going to ground ….which means it does nothing - correct ?? ……also, the value of the cap on the tone pot has me confused ?? what is it ?? what is it supposed to be ?? …….it reads .02Z ….??? …….

10. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

The value of the treble bleed cap should be .001 microfarad (uF). It should be wired between the other two lugs on the pot.

It doesn't have to be there. Many basses don't have them. Peavey put it there because they thought the bass sounded better with it in place--when the volume was rolled off.

EDIT (again): I'll assume the .02Z means .022 uF. That is the proper value for a tone control; not for a treble bleed. Radio shack probably has .001 uF caps for very little cost.

11. Major Softie

Major Softie

Are you old enough to remember what Arte Johnson would have to say about this? :eyebrow:

12. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

got that, thanks Stone Soup ….but the treble bleed caps are on the volume pots ….I'm now trying to figure out what the actual TREBLE POT cap value needs to be ?? ….one would think it should be a .047 but who knows what Peavey decided to do when they built these basses ….I will post a close up shot of the treble pot cap as soon as my camera battery cops a quick charge …..

13. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I think I was four when Laugh In was canceled, so I'm sketchy.

I'll guess: Verrrrrry innnnnnteresting....

14. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

yes, "very interesting, BUT STUPID" ……!! (I'm 51) ….

15. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I'll say it's a .02 microfarad capacitor. It's a common value in basses and guitars. You can try different values. No harm in trying.

16. mech

mech

Yep.

mech

17. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

18. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

If the bass sounds okay, leave it.

Is there an issue with the sound of this bass?

19. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lssy cmprsn. Supporting Member

It means .02 uF. The letter indicates the tolerance, and Z is the loosest, +80%, -20%. That means the actual cap value (when new) could be anywhere from .016 to .036 uF.

Reid

20. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

great info. :) I never studied electronics. I've just tinkered with guitars for a long time.

21. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

OK GUYS, all of you .....oddness here that needs to be explained, in the pdf of the Foundation schematic that Major Softie and Stone Soup directed me too (links in our discussion thread) .....the RIGHT HAND bass diagram shows the two .02 treble bleed caps on both the volume pots as you would think they should be installed .....BUT !! on the LEFT HAND bass diagram directly below the RIGHT HAND bass diagram, it shows the treble bleed cap wired in for the neck volume as it was on my "right hand" bass, which is per the photo I posted: ground to ground or base to base for both contacts of the cap ????? ....so, my question now is: why would the treble bleed caps be soldered in differently for the RIGHT HAND bass and the LEFT HAND bass ?? ....and doesn't a cap being wired directly into the ground path mean the cap is doing nothing ?? .......thanks guys .....