1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey Foundation S / treble bleed caps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Uncle Freddy, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

back again guys, got the Foundation S is booming & sounding great ....question: what "exactly" do the treble bleed caps accomplish ?? I rewired the guitar per factory schematic and have noticed that with both pick-ups cranked (they are wired in series hum bucking) I get a nice, kinda glassy boom, but if I turn the neck or bridge completely off by the volume pot, and just play thru one of the two pick-ups, the glsssy'ness turns much thicker ...?? ...and this is without touching the tone .....also, with both pick-ups cranked, if I roll either the neck or the bridge volume off more than 1/8 turn or so, this dramatically changes the output level and tone .....again, without touching the tone ......does this variance have to do with the treble bleed caps on the volume pots ?? .....thanks for the help .....

2. Uncle Freddy

Uncle Freddy

well, pulled the treble bleed caps real quick, plugged her back in and still doing same thing: with both pick-ups cranked, if I back either one of the volumes off more than 1/8 turn, this dramatically alters output level (up, or at least it sounds like the output level goes up) & tone .....it's like if they are both cranked, the bass sounds like a not-cranked tone, but as soon as I back either of the volume pots off a bit, the bass sounds like a cranked tone (or louder when a volume pot is rolled off a little ??) .......puzzled as to why this is happening ?? thanks again guys ...

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

This is common, from what I've read from others-
    seems that a lot of players use no more than 90% or so of volume, each or both knobs for that reason.
    Hopefully someone will offer the correct explanation as to why.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Description is a bit muddled, but it sounds like classic V/V/T Syndrome to me, if I'm understanding it right.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Try switching the hot and ground on the bridge pickup. It is possible they're out of phase. Even if this makes no difference it is easy to switch back.