1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey Foundation S trussrod question.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kawai-chang, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Kawai-chang

Kawai-chang

Hello all.

I saw a Peavey Foundation that looked to have a stripped Allen-screw type head on the trussrod.

I have 2 questions.

1. Can this trussrod be replaced? and if so, easily?

2. What would the actual size of said trussrod Allen wrench
    be?

Thanks to all for responding to this. I have an e-mail in to Peavey, and did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer.

2. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I have the wrench and the nut for my '85 Fury sitting in front of me, and according to my digital calipers, the nut is 0.315". From your description, I'd guess that the truss rod probably isn't messed up, you just need to get the nut off it and replace or fix it.

Looking at my stuff, I understand why the nut on the Foundation is stripped, though; the wrench isn't large enough to actually fit around the body of the nut, instead it's only big enough to grab the very end of it where it tapers. If you could find a Peavey wrench and file the inside of it out, probably less than .01", you could get it further down on the nut get a bite on it where it's not rounded over.

3. Kawai-chang

Kawai-chang

Hmmm. I could have sworn that it was a hex-key type of nut. I'll have to look again.

Thanks for the information anyway.:)

4. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Unless there's a different Foundation bass, it should have a 5/16" nut on it. Peavey should still be able to get you a wrench. If someone told you it was stripped, it's probably because they were sticking an allen wrench in the hole

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kawai-chang

Kawai-chang

D'OH!!

that would have been no other than myself.:(

Well, in my own defense I was looking at it on the counter at Guitar Center and under a time crunch to get back from lunch.

I'll just mosey on down there on Friday to recheck it.

(I'm an idiot sometimes.:confused: )

7. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

I would just get another neck off ebay before I dealt with replacing the truss rod. That is not an easy job if you have never done it.

8. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    a. I hope that's all it is. They could have made a change and I might be 100 percent wrong.

b. It certainly doesn't make you an idiot if you don't know every detail about how a manufacturer does something, especially when you ask someone else about it.

Here's the nut; I set it in the hole so it would be easier to see.
    [​IMG]

Here's the Peavey wrench; it's just a tube that's shaped on the short end. The pick is just there for size reference.
    [​IMG]

Notice, also, that the Peavey neck is two pieces. You'd have to split it down the center to fix the truss rod if there turns out to be a problem. I don't see any way that's not a really difficult job. It'd almost be easier to build a new one from scratch.