Peavey Foundation "S"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ultra60, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Can anybody tell me what the "S" stands for? There's one local that has a P/J pickup setup. Seller claims it's an '85. Is that possible? My knowledge of these is limited to seeing Kyle Henderson (The Producers) use his live in '83.

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

good question. i'm not sure that it stands for anything. the one i once owned also had a p/j setup with active Peavey pickups.

3. mech

mech

The Foundation S was available with active or passive pickups. The passive used Dimarzio PUs with the allen screw pole pieces and the active used EMG low impedance PUs with the internal FET preamp.

mech

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I'm not sure Peavey made "S" Foundations in '85. They did make them in '86, though, so the seller could be a bit off. As far as I know, the "S" in the Foundation S is there to set the model apart from the regular Foundation bass, which had 2 Super Ferrite pickups. I don't know if "S" is an abbreviation for a specific word.

The "S" model Foundations are very good quality basses. If the price is right, it would be a nice buy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Schaller as in pickups that were in it.

7. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Bingo- the pickups were Schaller copies(liscensed) of Dimarzios, and the tuners were Schaller S-4s(similar to Grover Titans).

8. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

I've read at least one post referring to the S as stereo.

Anyone?

9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Do the early S models have the same tuners as the early Foundations, the ones with the adjustable screw on the tuner shaft?

10. mech

mech

That's why they fooled me. The Shaller active models had a stereo jack to turn on the pickups but I'm not aware of Peavey having any stereo bass models. Some of the 6 string guitars with piezo and magnetic pickups were stereo.

mech

11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

S...
    Nothing found in the 4 page manual to reveal the meaning of the letter S in the name. The manual does mention an authentic Switchcraft output jack installed, though.