1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey Foundation S

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soggy6, Dec 17, 2012.

1. soggy6

soggy6

Hi all - I attempted to play a little bass back in the 1990's and am thinking about giving it a go again. I can buy a Peavey Foundation S for $150 - is that a decent deal for this instrument?

Thanks for any advice/information!
  2. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Depending on condition that is a decent deal. They typically go for $200-$250 in near mint condition.
  3. mech

mech

What he said. Good instrument, too, as long as it hasn't been abused.

mech
  4. TwinBass

TwinBass

I played a Foundation 5 for a while. It was a solid bass. I wish I still had it..

The foundation 5 was different from the foundation 4... I don't even know if I'd still like it, but I really dug it at the time.

Peavey made (makes) some really sweet basses. Don't let the low price fool you.
  5. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1
  6. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

Had one, really liked it, and then "upgraded." Should have kept it. $150 is likely a great deal.
  7. soggy6

soggy6

Thanks for the information - I really appreciate the guidance. I'm meeting up with the seller either tomorrow or Wednesday to take a peek at it. If I buy I'll post some pictures.

Thanks again for taking the time!
  8. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

If you're talking about a 4-string P/J configuration with SuperFerrite pickups, they are great! $150 for one in good shape is a good price!
  9. soggy6

soggy6

Don't think it has those (but I'm not sure). I have not seen it in person, only in pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas about the year this guy may have been made?
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I'd guess around 1989. Check and make sure both pickups are operating properly.
  11. soggy6

soggy6

Is there a "best way" to test a pickup other than turning knobs and noodling around at different volumes and tones?
  12. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The Foundation S never had Super Ferrites, just the regular Foundation and original Dyna Bass. The Original Foundation S had The Schaller PBX and JBX P/J set up and then moved to a G&B P/J later on. That blue one is the later model.
  13. soggy6

soggy6

G&B make decent sounding pickups?
  14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

That's the way to do it. I mention that because it looks like the P-pickup might have fallen below the plastic cover. It's no big deal, as long as the pickups work. I bought a Peavey B-90 that was like this and it took all of 5 minutes to fix. But still, see if the pickup is rattling around underneath that cover. Use it as a price negotiating point if it is.
  15. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

The one in my Avatar is a super bass, I got it for ~$200.
  16. soggy6

soggy6

I'll keep that in the front of my mind for sure when I go take a peek. I am not expecting the condition to be real good - I've found the same ad (or close to it) posted for almost 18 months. I'm guessing someone would have bought the instrument by now if it was in great shape. Guess we'll hope and see.
  17. winston

winston Supporting Member

Also be sure to check that the neck isn't warped, the truss rod is functional, and the frets are in decent shape. You can always replace faulty electronics for a reasonable price, but neck/truss/fret issues start adding up really quickly.

Those old American Peaveys are built like tanks--I had a Patriot fretless that I used to fly with. I checked the molded Peavey case as luggage, never any issues.
  18. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

The blue is a very uncommon color. About 89 or 90 model. Pretty neat.
  19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

A sure sign something is wrong.
  20. soggy6

soggy6

My thought as well. If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is, right? :meh: I'll take a look-see anyway, but my expectations are real low.