Peavey Foundation vs Fury

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ronin614

ronin614

Hi All,

I'm looking for a new toy and I think I've narrowed it down to two choices; either a Peavey Foundation or a Fury. I'm planning on buying a righty and playing it inverted (lefty) because the lefties are pretty hard to find.

Which is a better bass overall and which is a better all around bass tone wise? If you could only own one which would it be?

I've found several of each priced under $200.

Also, how can I ensure that it's an American model?

Thanks for the input.
    S-
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Your question is a little tough to answer since you are essentially asking P-bass (Fury) or J-bass (Foundation). As to which one you should choose, that is solely up to you. If you have a preference, tone-wise, between a P and a J, go with that.

Foundations were all US-made, AFAIK. The Fury name is still in use today for import models, but they have little to do with the US-made ones. US Fury basses look like a P-bass... large pickguard, 2 knobs. Models from the 80's had a slanted Super Ferrite pickup, but at some point it changed to a traditional P-bass split-coil pickup. I believe all US-made Fury basses will say something to the effect of "Made in US", and should have it's serial number pressed into the back of the headstock. Same with the Foundation.

The Foundation came with 2 Super Ferrite pickups on the early models, then went to single-coils that look like Cirrus humbuckers.

Both basses are made well, and are made to last. Keep your eyes open, you can very often find either/or for less than $150.
  3. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

The Fury is a good bass but it's really just a copy of the Precision. I'd go with the Foundation, especially if it's an older model(cursive writing on headstock, super ferrite pickups).

Really, you could play a lifetime of gigs with a Foundation.
  4. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

I've had both, I'd recommend the Foundation. The Fury just lacked oomph.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Same here I've owned both. Get the Foundation. Preferably '91 or earlier.
  7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I wouldn't even try to choose. I'd buy one of each, considering they run well under $200. But if you're looking to play a right-handed bass as a lefty, I'd go with a Foundation. Those basses are almost symmetrically shaped, and will likely be better ergonomically suited for lefty playing.

There are lots of lefty Foundations out there. How long have you been looking?
  8. ronin614

ronin614

Thanks for the input everyone.
    Since I'll be buying online, if there anyway to tell if it has the SF pickups? Also, I've seen different bridge; does that really make any difference?

SCMD......today. :)
    Not looking to rush in but if I find a great deal I want to have my information so I don't miss out. Did that last night while doing research on a REALLY well priced Japanese Hohner. By the time I called back to buy it, it was gone.
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Super Ferrite pickups are thick single coil pickups with a plastic surround -

[​IMG]

The later Foundations have VFL pickups (which I happen to like) that are much larger, solid humbucking pickups -

[​IMG]

The different bridge designs make no difference.
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

A Peavey Foundation is a MUCH better bass than that Hohner. Unless you need a bass right this very minute, just keep checking ebay and GC. One will come up. A lefty Foundation just sold on ebay last month for $162.
  11. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

If you are considering a Fury you should also consider the Patriot. I have one and it's a much better bass than the Fury I owned.
  12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

13. abstractart06

abstractart06

If you haven't already, take a look at some of the Foundation and Fury videos on youtube. That may help you decide. In my opinion Super Ferrite pickups are some of the best sounding pickups ever put in a bass.
  14. thumpguy123

thumpguy123

if you go with a foundation, you want one with super ferrites. they are the best! they were made with them up until 1992. after that they started using some other pickups. a foundation is essentially a j bass as stated above. very well made imo. i'm sure you'll be happy with either, i own a '92 foundation and my only complaint is that it's not active. be sure to get a 5/16ths truss rod wrench as they don't use allen wrenches. this will help out when you go to do a setup
  15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I would argue that the Foundation could be called a copy of the Jazz. Anyway, you really need them both. ;)
  16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

17. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I had a 93 Fury and a 92ish Foundation. The one thing about the Fury that was better, was the semi-grit finish feel of the neck. Loved that.

Not that it matters, but I think a true Jazz Bass has exact Fender specifications. Are the pickups of the Foundation in the same spot as the Jazz? Plus..no oblong body. I never liked that lumpy thing fighting with my leg, anyway..and would prefer the Foundation body style.
  18. oldrookie

oldrookie

I have one of each from the '80's. If I had to choose, I'd play the Foundation. Like the SF pickups better. Neck is thinner by a tad and it is an extremely nice place to spend some time.
  19. ronin614

ronin614

Smcd, the pickup pictures were very helpful. Thanks.
    Maxdusty, thank you for the link I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the red Fury for $149. It's pretty hard to argue w that price. Maybe Scmd is right... For the price I should just grab one of each.
    I found a lefty Foundation at a shop in NJ but the guy wants $400 for it. While I know the build quality is easily worth that, I can't pay double what they sell for on a regular basis.

By the way, this is TB at its best. I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.
  20. Gundecker

Gundecker

Can't go wrong with a early Foundation and SuperF pups. I found mine for$80 out the door. 3 strings and a rusty bridge. Came with extra filthy and no case. After some hands on time, a set of strings, set up and a $20 Peavey hard case, I have a great 'burst Foundation that plays well and looks good. All subjective of course. Good luck!
  21. ronin614

ronin614

Ok, now to add a new wrinkle...what's wveryone's opinion of the T-20?
    Again, thanks for the input.