Peavey Foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2010Flap, Jan 18, 2014.

1. 2010Flap

2010Flap

:bassist: Hey guys im looking at a Peavey Foundation bass and was wondering if I could get some tips and reviews Thanks. :bassist:
  2. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

There are about 3-4 different versions/generations of Foundations. The most collectible are the 80's models with superferrite pickups or the same period Foundation S's with PJ pickups. Generally considered the equal to or better than American Fender Jazz basses of the same period.

The early nineties Foundations also have Superferrites and have a strong following. The hardware is generally consider lower quality than earlier models(I have never had any problem with this hardware and I have been playing them exclusively for about 5 years). These Foundations are significantly lighter than the earlier models and have build quality on a par with similar period American Fenders.

My personal preferrence is the mid to late 90's Foundations and Foundation 2000 models. These use VFL style soapbar pickups that look like humbuckers, but are actually single coils. A bit more hi-fi sounding then earlier models.

Foundations have become my main players. Since I also own a Pre-CBS Jazz this is saying something. To me their tone is somewhere between a Jazz and a Precision. They are very powerful and sit well in the mix.

They can typically be picked up between $150 and $300 depending on year, color, and condition; so they are obviously a great bargain.
  3. tgriley62

tgriley62

If you can get it for a decent price and it is in playable condition or only needs minor repairs get it. I picked this one up with the hard shell case for $150

[​IMG]
  4. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

Man that's nice. I don't think I've ever played a Peavey bass I didn't like.
  5. tgriley62

tgriley62

Thanks. I started about 4 years ago with the millennium BXP in the photo with the white foundation. I loved it so much I then got the foundation and then traded the millennium for the red Patriot. I am a Peavey fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

You got a lot more buying to do to catch up with the Peavey diehards. I've got 6 Foundations, 2 Furys, A Unity and a Forum. And that doesn't even count the projects. Then I go to the local GC and see 2 of my old Peavey's on their wall.
  7. tgriley62

tgriley62

True. But first I have to get a decent head/cab setup, hopefully by the summer. I have my eye on a T-40 that a pawn shop has for $100 but, one of the switches is broke and since I haven't tried it don't know if there is anything major wrong with it and I am also wanting a Fury. I have had major GAS for Peavey's since I got the millennium and it was an import model :)
  8. 2010Flap

2010Flap

Thanks for the advice I will keep note of that.
  9. tgriley62

tgriley62

Sorry for high jacking your thread. :( Peavey's are one of the most underrated bass's that can be had for a very good price and in the right hands are, in my opinion, on par with more "name" brand ones:D