Peavey Foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Walbassman, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Walbassman

Walbassman

Anybody have one? I came across one in storage....quite an interesting bass. Has the silver knobs. Ash(?) body...

Thoughts??

:D

2. Sinker

Sinker

3. Gander

Gander

Love my Foundation. Just wish it was better balanced.

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

I think the Foundation series was the replacement model for the Peavey T-40 in the early 80's. It used the same neck and most of the same hardware but added super-ferrite pickups. I have 2 Mid 80's models. In my opinion, the 80s model of the Foundation is one of the most "playable" passive basses on the market.
    If you have a Foundation from the 80s it will have a pointed headstock.
    There is one pictured in this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=68806
    In the late 80s Peavey offered the Dyna-Bass line which was basically the Foundation with active electronics. They also had a version of the Dyna-Bass that was a neck through design. I also have a Dyna-Bass but the Foundations play better.
    At some point in the 90s, Peavey changed the neck of the Foundation and in my opinion ruined the line. They later changed to newer pickups.
    If you have one of the Foundations from the 80s you have a very nice instrument.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sinker

Sinker

Why thank you, Mr. Redneck!

7. Gander

Gander

My 89 has the pointed headstock. I converted it to BEAD and installed a set of D'Addario chrome flats on it. Very sweet, indeed. Appreciate the Peavey history lesson.

8. jbucklin

jbucklin

Interesting about the evolution (de-evolution?) of the Foundation. However, I've heard reverse opinions about the '80s vs. the '90s models. I'm getting one for Christmas and it is a '90s model. I did get to play it and I think the newer pickups are a definite improvement over the older Ferrites. It's an NOS at a local shop and my wife's buying it for me for $260. What were the changes in the neck BTW?

I have a student who has an early '80s model and I must say, the construction is very good. His bass is what started the gas that got me shopping for one----and I have 2 USA Laklands!

I've heard that there was a Bass Player Mag interview a few years back with a well-known Nashville studio bassist whose "secret weapon" was a '90s Foundation. I'd like to get my hands on that issue of BP.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    The Foundation was not a replacement for the T-40, they were made concurrently for at least 2 or 3 years. Besides the different pickups, the electronics, bridge and tuners were entirely different.

I have a late 80's Foundation. It has the super ferrite pickups(which I prefer) but doesn't have the older, heavier bridge or the old style metal knobs. And the finish is not as good as on the older ones. It is starting to crack underneath the clearcoat.

10. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

They still used the almost same neck design in the early 90s because I ran across a 91 model with a neck that was shaped the same as mine except the wood did not quite seem quite as dense (mine are both solid maple - as was the other bass).
    At some point in the 90s Peavey changed the neck design. The neck had a round headstock and was both wider and thicker than the 80s model. I was told by a Peavey tech that they were trying to match a Fender P-Bass neck.
    The pickups in the 90s models are better than the Super-Ferrite pickups but acoustically the bass is not as "loud" or has as much sustain. The super-ferrite pickups do sound "mellower" and more acoustic. The 80s models are also heavier. The T-40 Bass is even heavier than the Foundation bass.
    Both Peavey T-40 and Foundation basses are still used today in Nashville studio recording sessions.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    The T-40 heavy?:D One of the heaviest basses I have ever played! But a great one, no less. I will own another, one of these days. And you are right about the neck design.

12. jbucklin

jbucklin

I just posted on the Peavey forum asking for opinions on the two models in question. I got an immediate response from "AJ" who is apparently a Peavey employee. He said that the only differences are pickups and body shape. I have to admit that I do like the old body shape more. The newer Foundation necks are definitely not the same size as a P neck and the only difference I noticed was that the older ones have slightly better quality wood. I was impressed enough with the '90s model to go ahead and take the plunge, but may get an '80s model later on down the road.

13. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Here are a few links to pictures of later model Peavey Foundations:
    http://www.bbmusic.bc.ca/peavey/foundation.html
    http://www.mtech.edu/njhawthorne/Foundation.htm
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=930714052
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=931349356
    Notice that the neck is different than the one.
    posted in the other talkbass post:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=68806
    It not only is round on top but the neck is wider.

Here is a link to the Peavey Fury Bass Manual from 1983:
    http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/list/fury83.cfm

Here is a link to the Peavey Forum Bass from 1993:
    http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/list/forum93.cfm

Here is a link to the Peavey Fury Bass Manual from 1996:
    http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/list/fury96.cfm

Note the differences in the neck from 1983 to 1996.
    The Fury and Forum series basses used the same neck that the Foundation series did in those years.
    Peavey has the online manual for the Foundation Bass from 1983 but does not have the other online.

14. ukbassman_1987

ukbassman_1987

Hey! I became a member of this site because i saw this message! Been trying to find out more about my bass. It is a Peavy Foundatin that i got as my first bass (off e-bay for about £100, 6 years ago ). No idea how old it is as i came with basically nothing. Plays nice but it came with a realy bad finish. For some reason it has/had a wax coated finsih which looks horrible. I have since scratched some off and stickered the rest. Will get a pic at some point.

15. doyleydo

doyleydo

anybody still out there in foundation bass land? i busted the tuning peg on my 80's foundation. can't seem to find them anywhere. it's threaded so it fits nicely in the hole. i've tried the repair shops here at home and in the big cities...no luck.....

16. audiomitch

audiomitch

Here's my '84 Foundation. Great bass!

[​IMG]

17. Bogster

Bogster Supporting Member

I have a 1986 Foundation that has been with me many years. I don't pick it up very often anymore, but when I did the other day I was instantly reminded of how playable and fast the neck is - very underrated basses, IMO.

18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Wow is this thread old. I'd say, as a rule, that if you do a search and all you come up with is a 9 year old thread, it's ok to start a new one.

19. oldrookie

oldrookie

Well, to be fair, it really is only three years since the last post.

20. bassface_SGC

bassface_SGC

How would one go about determining the exact year of bass, is there anywhere to reference the serial number like that? :bassist:

21. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Media:
    [​IMG]

I love my Foundation fretless. No experience with older Foundations, but I've played other older Peaveys before, and never found anything I didn't like. They always made great axes IMHO.