Peavey Fury or MIM P bass..?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raul, Jan 22, 2014.

1. raul

raul

Thinking of one of these P basses. And then putting a Wilde P 46 pickup in it! For big rock tones.
    What do you think? Any experience comparing the two? I can find a MIMalmost aanywhere. Or should I hunt down a Fury? The Fury neck looks comfortable and fast. But what about the build quality between the two?
  2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I have no experience with MIM P basses. I've had several Fender MIA P basses, though.

And I have 1 MIA Fury.

I would spend $200 on a Fury over $400 or more on a MIM P bass any day of the week. Actually, I'd take the Fury even if the Fender was the same price. Heck, if the Fury was $200 and the MIM Fender was $100, I'd probably buy them both and then sell the Fender for enough to pay for them both.

My Fury already had a Hi-A (vintage Bartolini) pickup in it when I got it, but I would at least give the stock pickup some play time before I spent money on a replacement. The good thing is, you should be able to buy a nice Fury, a nice replacement pickup, and pay to have the pickup installed and the bass setup, all for less than the price of a good condition MIM Fender P.
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

IME/IMO, a *good* MIM Fender is a slightly better made instrument than the MIA Furys that *I* have played so far...

The Fury will have a much thinner neck - even thinner than a typical Jazz, IME... The Fury will likely give a bigger bang for the buck, though - and will probably be more consistant, quality-wise...

I'm definitely a fan of buying American whenever possible - but I have to say that I would take a good MIM Fender over the Fury that I owned...

- georgestrings
  4. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

IMO, Fury sounds better, Fender looks better. You're looking to swap the pickup, so I guess that goes out the window. Ergos of the neck are a matter of preference, and build quality is on par.
  7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

If you're concerned about the comfortable neck, I'd go with the Fury. Build quality is almost the same. As you're changing the pickup anyway, my only criticism of the Fury isn't applicable- the pickup. You'd also save money picking up the Fury instead.