1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey Grind 5 BXP truss rod wrench?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Troph, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

I have one of these Peavey Grind 5 BXP basses that I bought used about a year ago. I did a complete electronics replacement on it (new pickups, active preamp, new pots, jack, wiring, etc) so I have some time and money invested at this point. I changed to slightly heavier strings, and as I expected, the neck had too much relief and needs an adjustment.

So I unscrewed the truss rod access cover, and I can see the end of the truss rod just fine. But the head of the truss rod looks like it is nearly round. Either it's completely, utterly stripped beyond recognition, or it's not designed to take a standard hex key. It looks like there may be some smaller teeth in there, so I'm thinking it could be one of the other Torq configurations like double hex or something, but none of my standard hex wrenches would engage it.

The bass is fairly new... it was only about 2 years old before I bought it off the guy, so I don't think it would already be stripped. But who knows.

I'm thinking that maybe there is a different tool I should be using, but I don't know what that would be. Sadly, Peavey's website is no help whatsoever.

Any ideas?
  2. BJMtz

BJMtz

I have a BXP 4 and took a couple of pictures of the truss rod so you can try to compare to yours. A standard hex key works for me, I believe it's a 5/32.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

Awesome, thanks BJMtz. The nut looks similar, but I will need to check it out more closely tonight when I get home.

It's the inner part of the nut which engages your wrench, correct?
  4. BJMtz

BJMtz

Yea the hex key fits inside and teeth are down inside the round nut. At one point I thought mine was striped too but I just wasn't getting the allen key in right.
  5. youngsg

youngsg

Troph or BJMtz: Can you confirm the size of wrench you need? A 4mm truss rod wrench from StewMac is too small it seems... 4mm is about 0.04mm dif from 5/32 so I don't think it's a 5/32. Thanks for thoughts.
  6. BJMtz

BJMtz

youngsg, I'll double chack when I get home this afternoon.