Peavey Grind 5 or ESP LTD D-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kdo, Mar 9, 2014.

1. kdo

kdo

Anyone have experience with both? How do they compare?

2. kdo

kdo

Anyone?? Anyone out there have the LTD D-5? If so, what do you like or dislike about it? I recently bought a Peavey Grind but I'm having a few issues with it. I'm trying to decide if I want to return it for another Grind or go with the LTD. Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations?

3. kdo

kdo

So now I have a third bass in this equation. A Schecter Research Omen Extreme-5. Any opinions? Peavey Grind 5, ESP LTD D-5, or Schecter Research Omen Extreme-5? Im looking for a good inexpensive 5 string. I need a little help deciding..

4. GastonD

GastonD

I would not mind hearing an experienced opinion, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84

The Grind 5 gets my vote. :)
    Nice, light weight. Neck through. Passive pick-ups through an active EQ. Allows you the expressive vintage tones with the ability to dial in your sound and still can be quite modern. The neck is very comfortable, too.

7. Jarad_GB

Jarad_GB

I would go with the LTD or the Schecter. I've owned different models of both, but I've always strayed away from the Grinds just because I've seen so many bad reviews. I've also spoken to customers and other bass players who've had bad experiences with those, but again I haven't played one myself. What kind of music are you playing?

8. kdo

kdo

Rock and southern rock mostly. However we cover a little of everything. I do want to get more into jazz and funk..

9. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Ive had decent experiences with Grinds. Id go with that one.

10. Immigrant

Immigrant

I had a Grind for a couple of years and sold it. Unlike another poster, I've never seen a Grind with active anything. Passive pups, passive everything.

I've owned two Schecters and they were both top-notch quality wise. If I were in your shoes, it would be:

1) Schecter
    2) LTD
    3) Grind

If you're looking to be a mod freak, the Grind is an excellent platform for mods.

11. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Schecter makes great stuff. Haven't been TOO impressed with LTD basses (although I love their guitars). Peavey, as said above, would be fun for modding and whatnot but I don't know about using it in many live or studio applications.

12. Jarad_GB

Jarad_GB

If that's the case, then I feel the Schecter might be a better bet overall. I've found that you can get a pretty decent range of sounds out them. Solid build too.

13. Topspin

Topspin

I'm a big fan of LTDs newer stuff, same with Schecter. I think you'll be pleased with either.

14. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

I had a LTD C-304 neck through and it was a really nice bass. One of the guys at church had the Grind. Both played nice, the Grind (Mahogany Body Rosewood Fingerboard) had a darker more mid range tone where the LTD (Maple Body, Rosewood Fingerboard) was brighter slightly scooped mid with a more modern tone and had a better slap tone. I don't have experience with the Schecter basses so I don't how it compares.

15. kdo

kdo

Thanks for all the replys. I think im leaning toward the Schecter. The one thing Im still debating over is the Peavey and the ESP are neck thru while the Schecter is bolt on. How do you guys feel about neck thru vs bolt on?

16. Immigrant

Immigrant

I think most guys prefer one or the other but I don't care either way. My favorite bass is a set neck. Don't let that be your deciding factor, but keep in mind that a neck thru with a twisted neck is chipper bound, a bolt on, not so much.