Peavey Grind 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kdo, Mar 5, 2014.

1. kdo

kdo

I am looking at purchasing my first 5 string bass but have a few questions before I do. I have played 4 string for years but never 5. I didnt want to invest a ton of money so I have been looking at the Peavey Grind. I can order one with case for $430 from zzounds.com. Everywhere else I have looked wants around $450 for just the bass then another $80 for the case so $430 total seems like a good deal. I noticed that on the zzounds website the MSRP for the Grind 5 is listed at $549.99 but on the Peavey and Sweetwater site the MSRP is $899.99. Any idea why this would be also? Are the stock guitars at zzounds the same quality as Sweetwater? Anyone ever bought a guitar from zzounds? If so, how was the experience and quality of the instrument?

2. GastonD

GastonD

My guess is that the price on Peavey and Sweetwater is for the US made basses, while that other one is for the BXP series, which is Indonesian or Chinese made, I am not sure. If you end up buying that bass, please let us know your impressions, as I might be interested in obtaining one as well, also in the capacity of my first 5 string.

3. kdo

kdo

The bass shown on the Sweetwater site has "Made in Vietnam" on the headstock. Currently I don't think there's a US made Grind. I may be wrong.

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

No more US-made Grinds. $899 isn't the US-made price. If it were a US bass, it would be priced higher than $899.

The basses you're looking at are all the same instrument. The disparity in MSRP does make one wonder, but I think that's Sweetwater making it look like they're presenting a great bargain, that's all.

*Edit - it looks like the Sweetwater bass has mahogany body wings, while the $549 list basses have imbuia body wings. That's the only difference, but it shouldn't account for a $350 price difference. No way.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

No, you're right. No US Made Grinds anymore. I think there were only a handful ever made, right when the model was first introduced.

7. kdo

kdo

Thanks for the info.. Anyone have any experience with a Grind with imbuia body? How does imbuia compare to mahogany?

8. kdo

kdo

I've been trying to find a little more info about the type of wood that the body of the Grind is made of and it looks like Peavey maybe stopped using imbuia for the body wings a couple of years ago and started using mahogany. Can anyone here confirm that? Or does Peavey currently use both on the Grind?

9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

There was a used Grind 5 in my GC on Saturday for $250 I think. Looked pretty decent shape but I did not play it. I have a 4 string Grind, one of the pre-BXP models with the enhanced cutaway. It was a good bass. Lots of sustain with the neck-thru construction. Thin and very fast neck, pretty decent build quality....some fret dress issues that needed to be fixed. The PUP's are probably the weakest link in the chain. Decent low end but not much flexibility in tone. I had one PUP either fail or come unsoldered and I have not diagnosed or fixed it yet. Peavey doesn't seem to offer replacements but maybe if I called them, they could do something. Someone on here once said that there is almost a drop in replacement from EMG so that might be the way to go. The other issue I had was one of the control knobs stripped out....probably due to the softer wood in the wings. Fixed it myself. It is a light bass and small body. I have not played mine in years. I am going to pull it out and fix it and give it to my daughter when I get the chance.

10. Immigrant

Immigrant

I think you have it right.

I had a Grind that I picked up used. It was an older model made from Imbuya with a "scoop" out of the body under the G string for easier popping access. I did some research on them because I'd seen ads in BP magazine for new Grinds made from mahogany and wondered why they switched, and found out that Imbuya is an endangered species.

I cannot guarantee the accuracy of that. I can't remember the source where I learned any of it.

What I do remember is that the Grind is an excellent platform for mods because the overall build quality (of mine) was great, but the pups were lousy. Mine appeared to have original controls, but the wiring was completely backwards. The caps were soldered to the volume pots and every time you turned the volume from all the off to barely on, BLAM! Full volume. I replaced all the pots and caps and it operated as it should have. The pups were still lousy and I intended on replacing the whole shmeer, but I sold it instead.

It's the only bass I regret selling, even with it's issues.

11. dmgriz

dmgriz

Can't confirm the use of mahogany currently or offer a comparison, but I have a Vietnamese imbuya/imbuia Grind 5-string that I bought new about 10 years ago and I absolutley love it. I've been playing flatwound Chromes on it and it has a great mellow tone. I did have to change a volume pot about 5 years ago but other than that it's been great.

12. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Although I do not own one, I played one in a local music store not long ago. It was a 5er. I was rather impressed with the tone even with the roundwound strings the factory puts on them. For a starter bass I'd say it would be great. Just make sure you go through a few before picking one. PV usually makes functional, sturdy stuff and The Grind is no exception.

13. BJMtz

BJMtz

I have a Grind 4 so I cannot speak to the 5, but I really like my 4. It's not the highest quality bass out there but for the $380 (I think, it's been awhile) it's awesome looking and sounding. There are some spots on the finish where the clear coat or whatever they put on has some rough spots. The pickups are good and give nice tonal options but the output volume is not as loud as my Fender P I noticed. The neck is fast and thin but mine tends to move A LOT. My action frequently is changing and I have to adjust the truss rod periodically. Other than that I love it.

14. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I had a 5 string Peavey Grind several years ago. I took off the hardware and finished it in about 10-12 coats of tung oil. It was sexy as hell and sounded good for a less expensive bass. I got rid of it simply because GAS made me want to try something new. But it was a great bass and good enough for any dive bar gig.

15. kdo

kdo

Thanks everyone for the info. I think Im going to go ahead and pull the trigger and buy the Grind 5. As soon as I get it and check it out I will post my thoughts on it. Once again thanks everyone..

16. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I recently bought one from SamAshDirect through ebay. They had it for 450 OBO so I worked with them on the price and got it new for 380. I feel in love with its tone at a samash in San Antonio "although the one there has see through fret markers and mine isnt". I looooooove this bass. Its the best bass Ive ever owned for sure.

I only recently started buying 5 strings. Its something Im not comfortable with but want to be so I can further my playing options. It definitely takes some getting used to. At the same time I bought an Ibanez 305DX and play it more often than the Peavey ONLY because Im Lazy and hate digging the peavey out of the case for short play sessions. I tend to pick up a bass and play it acoustically while watching tv for 10 minutes spurts and just keep putting it down next to me and picking it back up and playing it again all day long. I got used to the Ibanez feel for the most part but the Peavey I can still got "lost" in the strings.

When I say lost I mean, My right hand will feel like Im on the D string and my left hand will feel like its on the D but my left hand is actually on an A. Its frustrating but I really want to train it into my muscle memory.

Overall I would say absolutely buy the bass. Ive picked up a lot of basses in stores. The neck is a tiny bit big for my hands but aside from that it sounds SOOOOO bassy. It sustains for days and even playing acoustically and unplugged you can hear a quality in the instrument that a lot of other basses if not ANY of them in the same price range have. The only bass near its price that had even close to as good of a feel IMO was a Yamaha BB 415. When I went to San Antonio I had just played on my friend's BB and was impressed with its tone "but only while it was plugged in so Im guessing its souly the pickups I liked". I found this Peavey and never looked back.

17. walldaja

walldaja

I picked up a Grind 6 for $325 in mint condition. You should be able to find a 5 for less used. Liked neck thru and passive electronics. They don't hold their price used but that's to your advantage if you buy used. Good solid bass.

18. Wallace320

Wallace320

"D" series for details, and Washburn Taurus too;)

so yes: weak pickups and poor finish, but an overall good platform for 360° mods

so I'd say: why not?

Cheers,
    Wallace

19. Troph

Troph

I have a newer-version (2010 or 2011) Grind 5 BXP NTB I snagged on Craigslist for $225... my version has a much lighter-colored stain than previous versions I've seen. Mine was also made in China, if I recall correctly (not Vietnam). The body finish is a bit rough in a few places, but it's satin, so I'm sure I could fix it if it bothered me (which it doesn't).

The only serious issue I could find on mine was with the stock neck pickup, which was so muddy that it seemed to be missing just about all content above, say, 2kHz. Really bizarre.

So I dropped an inexpensive set of Seymour Duncan SSB-5 pups in there, and went ahead and installed a SD STC-3p pre-amp at the same time. Now it sounds great, but I never really "finished" the project as intended... still need to shield the cavities and give it a proper set-up (the action was way too high when I acquired it).

I suppose I should get it out of the closet this weekend and finish it off. :)

20. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess." Supporting Member

Media:
    I had a Grind 5 that I bought new locally. Sounded pretty good and was fun to play. My only real gripe with it was that the fret ends were sharp, but I understand that's a pretty common complaint these days. I would still have it but I traded it towards something else.

I've also bought a bass from Zzounds. It was a 2012 Fender. It was packed so well that it probably could have withstood a bomb blast. The setup was very nice, I tuned it and started playing. I have shopped Zzounds a few other times and have always been very happy with the service I have received.

21. kdo

kdo

Well the peavey grind 5 was delivered late yesterday afternoon. It is beautiful. It really looks like a more expensive guitar. I really wish the playability would equal the looks. First of all it has several sharp frets. Not a big deal. That's easily fixed. Now for the more serious issue. The action was very high. The neck was bowed BAD. After letting it sit overnight I decided to see what I could do. I made small truss rod adjustments until the rod was tight. I was able to get some of the bow out but it's still bowed and I'm not comfortable making any more truss rod adjustments. With the rod tight I'm still getting fret buzz above the 12th fret. I went ahead and adjusted the saddles to see how that would help the action. I let each saddle down as far as they would go and there's still about a 9/64"-10/64" gap between the strings at the 12th-16th frets. It is playable now but it's not comfortable to me. I like the action as low as possible. Im going to let it sit overnight and see if I can get anymore adjustment out of it. If not I think this one may just have to go back. Any thoughts or suggestions?