Peavey Grind Intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by crjenkins, Jan 23, 2009.

1. crjenkins

crjenkins

I was wondering how I fix intonation problems, is it even a fixable problem or is it a part of the instrument. I am playing a peavey grind bass (4 string) and it is about 30 cents sharp on the E and A string...it's quite a big deal and it's been bugging me...

help appreciated

thanks guys :)

2. 62bass

62bass

Have you tried adjusting the intonation via the adjustment screw at the end of each string?

3. fitzy73

fitzy73

if its sharp , adjust the saddle screws closer to the end of bridge

4. fivestringcult

fivestringcult

I own a Grind 6, and adjusting the intonation is pretty tiresome because of how the bridge is put together.

Assuming yours is the same, there's a small grub screw positioned at an angle in the side of each saddle that holds it in place, and you'll need an allen key to loosen it, move the saddle to the desired position, then tighten it back up. You'll probably have to remove the string to do it, or at least slacken it right off. Then of course you need to tune back up to pitch, check the intonation, and repeat the whole process again if it's still not right. It's a fair amount of tedious trial and error I'm afraid, but be patient with it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Elmo Oxygen

Elmo Oxygen

So I just picked up a Grind 5 and after setting it up, it took me a little while to figure out that this (above post) was the way to adjust the intonation. Here's my problem; it doesn't seem to change. I had the saddle all the way up, and all the way down by the ferrul holes and the 12th fret note is still just as sharp in any position. I am very frustrated. I don't want to pay a tech just to tell me he can't figure it out either. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (yes, of course I re-tuned and did all steps correctly - maybe) Can anyone give me a suggestion?

7. Elmo Oxygen

Elmo Oxygen

Ok, I just got off the phone with a tech, he suggested loosening the truss-rod and trying again. I understand that there must be a balance between neck and saddles, but the action is already a bit high for my taste in the upper register and the relief is great (according to the old business card).
    Anyone have any other ideas?