1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey Impresses big time

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassNeo, Dec 19, 2013.

1. BassNeo

BassNeo

I'll try to make this as quick and painless as possible..

I bought an old Peavey 1516 cab that was pooched. Took it apart with the intention of reloading it and found the 76uF cap was fried. I looked online and couldn't find a proper replacement.

On a whim I emailed Peavey and they (a) emailed back the next day and (b) said they had all three caps. I called and ordered them to the tune of $8.82

I find a box at my door yesterday with the caps. The shipping costs were more than the caps were worth. I checked my credit card statement and I was charged only for the caps.

I'm putting the crossover back together tonight and realoading the cabinet with two eminence Alpha 8a's and a Gauss 15.

Peavey, you continue to impress me every single time I deal with you. Well done, I'll sing your praises from the rooftops.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Dang no "like" button on TB :).
  3. rumblefish

rumblefish

4. tgriley62

tgriley62

Never had a problem with Peavey C/S, even when I asked a dumb question once
  5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Same crossover but different drivers might not match up right.
  6. BassNeo

BassNeo

I just finish putting it all together and NOW you tell me this?

kidding. A very good point.

I didn't check the specs to compare the eminence with the stock Peavey drivers, and the Gauss is one of those mystical unicorn types that no one really has a lot of info on. It'll be my ears that tell the tale.
  7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Gauss were very high end once. Its not super expensive to get measuring devices now, would be good to publish specs on old drivers. Maybe I should get some.
  8. Staccato

Staccato Supporting Member

Great deal on those caps! Some of the U.S. manufacturers continue to impress. Recently, I asked a different U.S. company for four instead of two parts, to have replacements & spares. They said okay, and my cost was $0.00 on parts and shipping.

Sometimes it's all it takes is a clear, concise, pleasant email request...
  9. braud357

braud357

Forget the specs - how does it sound ??
  10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Especially if the Gauss 15 is the 4582 which has a silver center dust cap. Nice driver but thats old school in terms of power handling and sensitivity. The two Eminence 8's will be very dominant in output. Maybe just the 15/8 would be a better match and crossover around 800 ?
  11. BassNeo

BassNeo

And that's exactly what it is. I've played it before with a Super Twin Reverb but I'm going to see what happens when I plug in my Studio Bass. The Twin needs a tune-up very, very badly.
  12. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

Peavey is my go to brand. I use two Firebass 700 heads and four Peavey BVX 115 Black Widow loaded cabinets.

For small stuff I use a Peavey TNT and a 115 extension cabinet with a Peavey Basic 112 on top to handle the highs.

All my stuff makes me extremely happy when I play it.
  13. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

Due to a fear of current lackluster amplification, I collect Peavey bass combos. 2 or 3 older(1993 and back) TNT's or Combo 300's will last a lifetime. 100% American made reliable, quality stuff. It's good to finally see a Peavey thread on here.
  14. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I love those folks they seem to have all the parts I need when I call.