Peavey Lo Max 18" subwoofer

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by speakermaniac16, Nov 13, 2013.

1. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

I haven't seen much talk about these so I figure I would ask the question. Are these good drivers, of course I am looking at the 18", but do these compare to JBL drivers or are they total crap because I am looking at replacing the driver in both of the subs I have. By the looks of it, they seem to be pretty powerful as well so I will probably upgrade the amp as well (I Would get a crown) considering they peak at 4800. Just want some opinions, Thanks
  2. modulusman

modulusman

You can't just throw any speaker you want into a cab and expect it to work. I'm not an expert but if you would post what subs you have maybe someone could tell you if they will work or not.
  3. WardEarth

WardEarth

Well, i think just about any speaker and cab can work. But to have an optimal sound it should be sized and ported correctly.
  4. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

Back to my original question, is the subwoofer good or not.
  7. Datamater

Datamater

"...is the subwoofer good or not."

Yes.

In 30 years of using BW 15s and 18s I only had to replace one basket about 20 years ago, and was grateful Peavey offers that feature (owner-replaceable baskets) on the BWs and Scorpions, vs. having to send the whole thing to a reconer. Presuming it's properly matched to the enclosure* you can't go wrong.

*Extreme, moronic example: A boneheaded former neighbor kid plopped a raw (no enclosure) 15" BW on his back seat, crammed both L and R speaker wires onto the terminals (another no-no), and bragged about how badass his sound was (as the confused BW lay there flapping uselessly). He was partially correct - it sounded bad, and it sounded like ass...
  8. speakermaniac16

speakermaniac16

thanks for answering my question :)
  9. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

I agree those speakers are boss.

Cheers!

MJW