1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey Mark VIII or T-Max?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mleubanks1964, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mleubanks1964

mleubanks1964

Hi everyone, trying to decide on either of these...the ones I'm looking at are in good condition. Both are priced the same and I'm looking for a dependable head to gig with.

Thanks,
    Micah
  2. arai

arai

I would go for the T-Max myself because of the foot switchable channel select. I'm sure they would both be dependable.
  3. Randy S

Randy S

Recently sold a MKIII from mid 90's that never let me down once. Heavy, but reliable as a tank. Don't have any experience with the T-Max.
  4. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

They both put out about the same amount of power, but IMHO, the T-Max sounds a lot better. The T-Max is a great amp, one of Peavey's best. You also get a tube preamp and a rack mountable format. No contest.
  5. mleubanks1964

mleubanks1964

Ok,now add one of these in the decision mix......this one or the Peavey?
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

a bandmate had a Tmax that i remember sounding pretty damn good for grindy rock bass. heavy, though.

the PF has a bit more power (500@4 instead of the Tmax's 400@4) and is a lot more compact, but the peavey's old-school and bulletproof USA construction appeals here.
  7. TwinBass

TwinBass

I've got a T-Max head. I love it. It's been 100% reliable since I got it back in '98 or so. It's heavy, but in a 4 space rack case it's not so bad. It's had plenty of power for all of my needs and some to spare.

I've not played with the Mark VIII, but I had one of the other mark heads (I can't remember if I had a Mk III or Mk IV). It was a fine sounding head, but I felt the T-Max was a definite upgrade.
  8. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Search this forum regarding the reliability of the PF500 before you make a decision.
  9. mleubanks1964

mleubanks1964

10. arai

arai