Peavey MAX 115 300 Watt 1x15" Bass Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lowendblues, Feb 9, 2013.

1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Looking for a good sounding, punchy, non "farting" combo amp for medium club gigs. I generally use a pick, but can hold my own with aggressive finger style as well.

Any good feedback for the new 300 watt Peavey Max 115? Looks to be a decent amp for the price point. Any idea what speaker might come stock?

I'll be using a Tech 21 VT for tone shaping.
  2. lowendblues

3. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

I haven't played the Max 115 but I do have the Tour TKO by Peavey and its pretty incredible, very loud and strong little combo amp.. and some nice features..
  4. Matt Novosedlik

Matt Novosedlik

I know I had the 50 watt max 115, the amp was really punchy and clean but again that was a 50 watt version, I use to crank it up and it was very ample with a a guitarist and still didnt distort, I have only ever used 15" speakers on my performance amps cause I have always been on a budget lol! I /had great experience with my max 115 50 watt for sound quality and over all quality and I like Peavey amps altogether! The 115 had what they called a heavy duty woofer, and thats what there saying for the new 300 watt version, you just need to play it and see if its for you I loved mine and never would have sold it if it were 2 or 300 watts!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowendblues

Yeah, I've had alot of old school peavey stuff, they used to really deliver for the working musician on a budget.

Its hard to find info on the new stuff though. I really like the look of this combo, they say the cab is tuned and ported, but I cant see any visable ports. I dont really want a sealed cab.
  7. Matt Novosedlik

Matt Novosedlik

I actually dont see any ports either I know that my 50-60 watt (what ever) original max had the hypervent ports it was great I do prefer them, I know a gigs music near by has the new max model ill stop by after work this week and check out the cab for ports!
  8. Matt Novosedlik

Matt Novosedlik

Just so you know I did stop by the music shop that is carrying the new max 115 and we combed it for ports and nothing but still bang for your buck $300 for 300 watts theres also the tnt 400 watt bass amp for $450 CND as well just food for thought!
  9. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

Played one yesterday for half an hour or so at GC. I really wanted to like it, but couldn't bond with it. It looks good, has good specs, good price point.....and I couldn't get a tone I liked out of it at a usable volume. Maybe it was just a bad one, I dunno, but it rattled and buzzed pretty badly whenever it got to a usable volume level. I tried every conceivable EQ/pushbutton variation, 4 and 5 string basses, etc, and it still couldn't keep up with a cheapo Crate 112 50w practice rig. The one I played (with EQ set "flat") was very heavy in the upper mids and any attempts to boost the lows/low mids resulted in heavy farting and mud. The Hartke 100w 115 absolutely killed it, but then again it runs $399. The newer GK MB 115 is really the Cat's a$$ but runs $449. My suggestion? Watch MF online for a used/return/scratch 'n dent GK or Hartke, or pick up an older TNT/TKO/Tour 300 and run a nice preamp to warm it up. As usual, YMMV, IMHO, FWIW, blahblahblah....
  10. Phlipper

Phlipper

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I really like it. Got to play the 115 version. I thought it had pretty decent low end at gig volume for such a small footprint. Nice punchy tone, too. I decided to build a big rig first, though (PV Max 700 and two Avatar B212s), but will look at the Max IIs again if I need something smaller and more portable. Unless you were playing in a metal band, the 115 seemed loud enough to gig small rooms unmic'd. Never heard it farting out when I played it cranked with an active SR370M, nor with a passive US Jazz bass, and an older Yamaha RB.
  11. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    The Max's have shelf ports. The chassis and speaker baffle form the mouth of the port at the top of the amp. It fires down in front of the speaker.
  12. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

The one I played was a floor model at GC, so it's entirely possible that some idiot jacked up the speaker while wanking away. I'll try another one at a different shop and see if it does better. Can't beat the price/power/footprint/weight combination if the rattle is gone. I'd definitely like to have something similiar-midway between my big stack and my little practice room combo.
  13. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

Just so's you don't think I'm intentionally bashing Peavey just for giggles....
    I hit another shop today and got to spend some quality time with new TNT. Wow, just wow:) No comparison whatsoever to the Max 115 or the old TNT I had as "supplied backline" last weekend. This thing sounds just like it looks-thick, fat, deep, and heavy, and I mean that in a good way. I'm not sure about the logistics of the kickback cutaway part, but otherwise this rates a 9.5 out of 10- especially for under five Benjamins. Methinks I'll try to grab one as soon as I get thru tax season and all that mess.
  14. wpabell

wpabell

I own the Peavey Max 115 300 watt combo, and I've found it to be a great sounding combo amp. It is the best amp at this price point, in my opinion. It gets a great old school sound, if that's what you're looking for.
  15. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

I have the 112 version and it has a killer sound, it's only 35 watts but it has a very good tone. It sounds like my 2x12 Avatar neo believe it or not, of course it's not as loud but the tone is there.
    BTW; it cratered and I had to send the (head part) into Peavey for repair. Customer service is excellent and turn around was about a week.
    Out of the thousands of dollars of Peavey equipment I bought starting in the early 80's it's the only one that broke. At one time I had (and used) 35 pieces of Peavey equipment including the complete pa system and monitors.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

That's not the new one, which is 200w into a 12" speaker. I have the little one with an 8" speaker and it's a good practice amp at 20 watts. The new 10" combo I believe is 100 watts.
  17. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Yes, I know
  18. RDT

RDT

Last week I picked up a Hartke A100, as I turned my previous practice amp (old Peavey TKO115s) into my pedal steel amp. Needing a small light weight combo to use at rehearsal and small shows, I chose the Hartke A100. In the music store and my studio, it sounded great. Moderatlely loud at about 2 on the volume. However, at rehearsal (8 piece country band using only monitors during rehearsal for vox, acoustic guitars and piano...all other instruments just use our amps). The Hartke A100 farted terrible, terrible, terrible. Regardless of which bass was used (2 Lakland 5 strings, 1 ESP 6 string or Godin 5 string...all active), regardless of eq setting...anything above 4 1/2on the volume, she farted horribly bad. The only time it wouldn't fart, was with a cut in bass eq and very low input. Note: yes, I was plugged into the correct input...I tried both, just to be sure they weren't wired wrong.

Anyway, back to the music store it went. After connecting the amp to an external Hartke 410 cab, the result was the same. Fart, fart, fart. So, obviously, something was up with the amp, itself. Since they didn't have another A100 in stock, I decided to swap it out for another combo. Wanting somethin light weight, I picked the Peavey Max115. Priced at $100 less, with 200 more watts, I was surprised. I played 1 of my Laklands thru it and found a very nice tone, in short order. I picked up a kick back amp stand, since the Max115 is a straight cab.

I'm sure the Hartke A100 was just a bad one...it happens, I understand that. But, having played thru Peavey equipment for the last 25 years, I knew I could trust Peavey...I have a 25 year old Peavey 215 with the original Black Widows, 2 112s 2 ways I use in my studio, a TKO 115s, all still working great...along with other Peavey equipment that has come and gone throughout the years.

With rehearsal next Thursday and a small venue gig Friday, I'll know how the Max115 works out. I'll keep ya posted.
  19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I played through a Max110 (the newer 100w one) a few months back and it was a great little combo... I mean really great.. based in that alone if I was in the market for a decent powered combo I would consider the new Max 115. It is a solid build. There is a GB Contour 115 with a 115 extension cab on sale in the classifieds right now for $600.

..but yeah those new Paevys are pretty nice... clean DI too.
  20. brian antrobus

brian antrobus

Max 115 sounds great with enough power for small gigs. With the CD/mp input and headphone out you have to realize this is a practice amp that has enough @ss for small gigs. I own one and love it. Most of the criticism I have read says it is underpowered. That being said, you can carry it by yourself without breaking your back and it will fit in the back seat of your car. If you are looking to shake the rafters of a 500+ venue, look elsewhere. If you are like the other 90% of us (snobs excluded) I think you will be happy with the dollar to performance ratio of this amp.